Welcome to Knox
Skip Links
Visit facebook.com/KnoxcouncilVisit twitter.com/knoxccVisit youtube.com/knoxccVisit our LinkedIn pageContact Knox City Council


Infringement notices are issued for a number of offences under various Acts. The information below is aimed at helping you understand why infringement notices may be issued and the processes that must be followed when managing infringements.

Issuing an Infringement Notice

The Infringements Act 2006 states:

An infringement notice for an infringement offence may be served on a person -
(a) by delivering it personally to the person; or
(b) by sending it by post addressed to the person at the person's last known place of residence or business; or
(c) if a vehicle is involved in the alleged commission of the offence, by affixing or placing the notice on that vehicle in a conspicuous manner; or
(d) in any other manner not specified in paragraphs (a) to (c) if the Act or other instrument which establishes the infringement offence or any other Act or other instrument provides for any other manner of service.

Payment is requied by the due date

Please ensure that you pay your infringement by the due date on the notice. If you don’t deal with your Infringement Notice by the due date (or take any other action i.e. request a payment extension or elect to go to court), you’ll receive a Penalty Reminder Notice and $24.70 (this amount is adjusted each July) will be added to your fine.

This reminder will give you an additional 14 days to deal with your fine before additional enforcement action is taken, including additional costs.

Payment Options

Payments can be made online by credit card via our Payments page.

Pay by Visa or Mastercard on 1300 668 153, option 3

Send cheque or money order to:
Knox City Council
511 Burwood Highway, Wantirna
South VIC 3152

Ensure that you write your infringement notice number on back of cheque/money order. Payment is not deemed to be made until the cheque is cleared.

Present your infringement notice to:
Civic Centre
Knox City Council
511 Burwood Highway,
Wantirna South VIC 3152

Please note that payments by Visa or Mastercard will incur a surcharge.

Requesting a Review of an Infringement

In line with the Infringements Act 2006, you can request a review of your infringement notice if you believe that:

1) The infringement notice was issued contrary to law (you believe you did not commit an offence).
2) 'Exceptional circumstances' (verifiable and unforeseen circumstances outside of your control) could excuse the conduct for which the infringement notice was issued.)
3) The infringement notice was issued to the incorrect person or vehicle.
4) You have 'special circumstances'.

For more information on how to request a review of an infringement please visit Requesting a Review of your Infringement Notice.

Payment Plans

A person, not including a corporation, may be eligible for a payment plan under Section 46 of the Infringements Act 2006.

A person will be entitled to a payment plan if they are in receipt of any one of the following:

  • a Commonwealth Government (Centrelink) Pensioner Concession Card;
  • a Department of Veterans’ Affairs Pensioner Concession Card or Gold Card; or
  • a Centrelink Health Care Card (all types including non-means tested); or
  • a Work and Development Permit (WDP)

If you are not the recipient of one of the above but can demonstrate financial hardship then you my be able to request an extension of time to pay your infringement.

Please make your request in writing and any supporting documentation to Infringement Payment Plan – City Safety and Health, Knox City Council, 511 Burwood Highway, Wantirna South Vic 3152, before the expiration of the due date on the Notice, or costs may be added.

As of 1 January 2018 you may be eligible to apply to the Director, Fines Victoria for a payment arrangement to pay a fine or multiple fines. Contact Fines Victoria on 1300 369 819 for further information.

Alcohol Options Program

If a notice has been issued for an alcohol-related offence the recipient has two options.

The recipient of the notice may:
1. Pay the penalty within 28 days of this notice; OR
2. Make and attend an appointment with ONE of the following alcohol and drug agencies within 28 days of the notice.

When telephoning to make an appointment please inform the agency that you are making contact under the “Alcohol Options Program”. When you make and attend a free and confidential appointment with one of these services the infringement notice will be immediately withdrawn, upon confirmation of attendance, and you will not be required to pay the penalty. All appointments are with qualified Alcohol and Drug Workers and will generally last between 30 –60 minutes. During this time you will receive information on harm minimisation and support services available.
The “Alcohol Options Project” is designed to reduce alcohol-related harm within our community.

This diversion initiative is a partnership between Knox City Council, Victoria Police Boronia, Knox and Rowville and the following Alcohol and Drug agencies: Anglicare Agendas, Eastern Drug and Alcohol Service (EDAS) and the Knox Community Health Service.

Refer to the link below for an information brochure.

  • Agendas – Bayswater 9721 3688 (all ages)
  • Eastern Drug and Alcohol Service – Wantirna South 1300 650 705 (12 –21 year olds)
  • Knox Community Health Service – Ferntree Gully 9757 6200 (all ages)

Knox City Council may disclose personal information to VicRoads for the purposes of pursuing an infringement, prosecution or investigating any other offence. It should also be noted that VicRoads may disclose personal information to Knox City Council as part of that infringement, prosecution or any other offence.

Powered by