Welcome to Knox
Skip Links
Visit facebook.com/KnoxcouncilVisit twitter.com/knoxccVisit youtube.com/knoxccVisit our LinkedIn pageContact Knox City Council


What can I put in the rubbish bin?

  • Food waste, bones and meat, fish and poultry scraps.
  • Household rubbish.
  • Light globes, window glass, mirrors, Pyrex, ceramics, and drinking glasses (wrapped).
  • Nappies (wrapped), tissues and paper towel.
  • Plastic packaging, wrappers, food packaging, and cling film.
  • Plastic plant pots.
  • Polystyrene.

What doesn’t go in the rubbish bin

  • Green Waste.
  • Timber, bricks, rubble, steel, or building materials.
  • Syringes.
  • Recyclables.
  • Fluids or liquids, including motor oil, pesticides, paints or solvents.
  • Hot ashes, (ensure they are completely cold) Batteries, chemicals or hazardous waste, which have the potential to produce toxic odours or cause a fire in the bin or collection truck.

You may be able to get rid of this rubbish with a Green waste collection, hard waste collection or at the Knox Transfer Station.

Bin requests, stolen bins and missed collections

Illegal dumping

Council removes dumped rubbish from Council land such as roads, nature strips, reserves and Council car parks.

To report rubbish in reserves and Council car parks call Council's Customer Service Department on 9298 8000.

If you have witnessed someone dumping rubbish and know the person, contact Council on 9298 8000 or lodge a report online. Remember that rubbish on a nature strip may be out for a hard waste collection.

Rubbish Dumped on Roads or Nature Strips

Before reporting dumped rubbish on a road or nature strip you would need to clarify whether the road is a maintained by VicRoads or Council. The following main roads in Knox are provided and maintained by VicRoads:

  • Bayswater Road
  • Boronia Rd
  • Brenock Park Drive
  • Burwood Highway
  • Dorset Road
  • Ferntree Gully Road
  • Forest Road (Boronia Road to Mountain Highway)
  • High Street Road
  • Kelletts Road
  • Lysterfield Road
  • Mountain Highway
  • Napoleon Road (Kelletts Road to Lysterfield Road)
  • Scoresby Road
  • Stud Road
  • Wantirna Road
  • Wellington Road
VicRoads and Council road responsibility diagram

If rubbish has been dumped on any of the roads listed above, please contact VicRoads on 13 11 70.

Council is responsible for all other roads. You can report dumped rubbish online or call Customer Service on 9298 8000.

Commercial and Industrial Waste

Please refer to our Commercial and Industrial waste page for more information about fees and collection.

Powered by