Welcome to Knox
Skip Links
Visit facebook.com/KnoxcouncilVisit twitter.com/knoxccVisit youtube.com/knoxccVisit our LinkedIn pageContact Knox City Council
Knox celebrates 50 years as a city

Celebrating 50 years as City of Knox

On 4 July 2019 Knox marked 50 years since being declared the City of Knox.

From its origins of the Wurundjeri and Bunurong people to European settlement, to the growing urbanisation of the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, Knox is known for its natural beauty with plentiful parks and bushland, sport and recreation, kilometres of bike paths and of course, shopping.

The history of Knox

After following the trade route of what is now known as Princess Highway, the first settlers called the area home in 1838. Townships soon thrived in the area as at first cattle, then orchards and flower-growing became primary industries.

Post World War II development around Melbourne led to rapid urbanisation and population growth, and on 16 November 1963 the original municipality of Knox was established as the Shire of Knox named in honour of leading citizen, Sir George Knox, with an area of 110 sq kms. The population was 24,000 people.

On 4 July 1969 Knox was proclaimed the City of Knox, and by then had a population of 50,000 people. On 15 December 1994, following a review of local government, a new City of Knox was proclaimed to include Upper Ferntree Gully and Lysterfield, one of only four councils in Melbourne to survive the state-wide amalgamation, expanding the area to 113.8 sq kms.

Today Knox is home to nearly 170,000 people, around a quarter of whom were born overseas, in almost 60,000 homes.

Historic events timeline:

  • European settlement in the area – 1838
  • Stamford Park Homestead built – 1882
  • Area known as Shire of Ferntree Gully – 1889
  • Shire of Knox declared with a population of 28,000 – 16 November 1963
  • City of Knox declared – 4 July 1969
  • Miller’s Homestead acquired by Council – 1970s
  • City of Knox Civic Centre built – 11 August 1973
  • Bicentenary project the Arboretum constructed in Ferntree Gully, winning the ‘Keep Australia Beautiful’ Best Bicentennial Project – 1988
  • Arboretum renamed the Tim Neville Arboretum in honour of the late Chief Executive of the City of Knox – July, 1993
  • New municipality of City of Knox proclaimed in Victorian amalgamation – 15 December 1994
  • Tim Neville Arboretum wins a City Pride award for most effective Tourist Attraction – 1995
  • Eastlink road constructed – 2008
  • Knox celebrates 50 years as Shire of Knox – 16 November 2013

Population growth over the years* – (graphic design timeline)

  • 28,000 – 1963
  • 36,514 – 1966
  • 44,500 – 1968
  • 56,786 – 1971
  • 74,456 – 1976
  • 104,207 – 1986
  • 124,146 – 1991
  • 130,401 – 1996
  • 141,408 – 2001
  • 146,738 – 2006
  • 154,625 – 2011
  • 160,353 – 2016
  • 169,116 – 2019

*Figures based on Estimated Resident Population

What’s your story or memory of living in Knox? Share your story on Council’s Facebook page at facebook.com/knoxcouncil

To learn more about the history of Knox, visit the Knox Historical Society Museum in Ferntree Gully or online at home.vicnet.net.au/~khsinc/

Powered by