Welcome to Knox
Skip Links
Visit facebook.com/KnoxcouncilVisit twitter.com/knoxccVisit youtube.com/knoxccVisit our LinkedIn pageContact Knox City Council

Millers Homestead, Boronia

Future Use of Miller’s Homestead

Council is currently undertaking a project to determine the future use of Miller’s Homestead and Gardens. As part of this work, Council officers sought input from the community throughout March and April 2019.

The first stage of this consultation is complete, and the next step is for Council to carry out a feasibility study on the preferred options which came through as a result of the consultation with the community.

You can read more about the consultation results and the next steps for Miller’s by viewing the June 2019 Community Update below.



History of Miller's Homestead

  • Other Names: Melrose
  • Date of Construction: 1888
  • Type of Place: Formerly a private residence.
  • Owned by the City of Knox as part of Knox Heritage and used for exhibitions, seminars and performances.
  • Listing Status: Classified National Trust Australia (Vic.) File No. 2173.

Building Citation for the National Trust Victoria


(Melrose), Miller Road, The Basin, is a single storey villa erected for former printer and first Shire President James John Miller in 1888.

The stuccoed dwelling, which replaced an 1870's house, is believed to have been designed by English architect Thomas Hunter. Symmetrical in design, the dwelling is characterised by its two large bay windows with French doors instead of windows and by the encircling timber and cast iron verandah.

Construction is in brick with a corrugated iron hipped roof. (Melrose), Miller Road, The Basin, is an Italianate Boom style villa of consequence for its historical associations with the settlement of the district and especially with first Shire President James John Miller, who built the house. The house is part of the historic landscape of the district and is architecturally of note.

While a fairly typical house of its period, (Melrose) is unusual for the use of French doors instead of windows and for the mergings of the bay window roofs into the ridge, a most uncommon detail.

Statement of Significance


This single storey Victorian residence was the home of James John Miller, the first President of Ferntree Gully Shire (1889).

Stables and training facilities were established out of wilderness and scrub on the original property bounded by Miller Rd, Albert Ave and Mountain Hwy, which was just over 77 acres. Miller owned other blocks adjacent to this property including the entire shopping centre area in The Basin, well over 400 acres in total.

The building is the best example of the Victorian style boom era of the 1880's in the City of Knox, and has been restored faithfully. The garden has also been landscaped as far as possible to the original design with propagation of remnants of vegetation including a camellia walkway dating from the 1890's.

Weddings

The gardens are available for hire for weddings. For further information about having your wedding at Millers Homestead please view the Miller's Homestead hire Information sheet below or contact Knox City Council Customer Service on 9298 8000.

Where is Miller's Homestead located?


View a map of Miller's Homestead

Address
Corner Melrose Court and Dorrigo Drive, Boronia VIC 3155.

Powered by