Knox Your City
Skip Links
Visit our LinkedIn pageContact Knox City Council

COVID-19 Update

Restrictions will be in place from 11:59pm Thursday 27 May to 11:59pm on Thursday 10 June. Most council facilities will be closed. Events have been cancelled. Critical services will continue. Find out more

Other useful information for seniors

Carer information

If you have a significant permanent disability and need a companion to help you to attend community activities, a Companion Card will assist you. For an application form or further information, contact the Companion Card Information Line on 1800 650 611.

If you require information on a Carers Benefit or Carers Allowance, contact Centrelink Seniors on 132 300.

Transport assistance

Older people and people with disabilities may be eligible to receive support through:

Transition to retirement

Making the transition from work to retirement requires planning. We have developed these resources to assist:

Elder abuse and your rights

Seniors Rights Victoria

Seniors Rights Victoria provides information, support, advice and education to help prevent elder abuse and safeguard the rights, dignity and independence of older people. Call 1300 368 821, 10am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Eastern Community Legal Centre

Eastern Community Legal Centre (ECLC) offers free legal assistance from its offices in Boronia during the day and at night. ECLC also engages in law reform and undertakes community development to educate and empower the community. Call 9762 6235, Monday – Thursday, 9.00am – 5.00pm (and Tuesday evenings).

Domestic Violence Resource Centre Victoria

Domestic Violence Resource Centre Victoria (DVRCV) are a statewide, non-profit resource centre supporting workers and families to help stop family violence. They provide training, publications, research and other resources to those experiencing (or who have experienced) family violence, and practitioners and service organisations who work with family violence survivors. Call 8346 5200 (Monday to Friday: 9am - 5pm).

For information on financial abuse, see the Knox City Council Fact Sheet: Protecting Yourself from Financial Abuse.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders

If you are an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person and would like to speak to the HACC Aboriginal Liaison Officer (Access and Support), please call 9298 8000.

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Queer (LGBTIQ)

Visit our LGBTIQ+ Community page.

Mental health

The Knox Mental Health Help Card provides key information for people seeking access to mental health support services in Knox.

Knox Multicultural Directory

The Knox Multicultural Directory aims to:

  • provide information to the general community about the growing cultural diversity in Knox;
  • assist individuals and service providers with making connections to migrant and refugee groups based in Knox; and
  • assist migrants and refugees in Knox to connect with services that would be useful for them.


Download the Guide to Disability and Aged Services in Knox and visit our pages on Disability and the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) for helpful information.

Other key groups

Council on The Ageing (COTA) Australia represents the interests of older people to a wide range of government and community organisations. They also provide information to older Australians on aged care and a range of other topics.

Seniors Online offers a range of contact details and information for older people, including the Victorian Seniors Card program. It was developed for seniors by the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services.

The Victorian Department of Health and Human Services website contains information on disability, ageing, elder abuse and services available.

Powered by