Knox Your City
Skip Links
Visit our LinkedIn pageContact Knox City Council

Facilities Closed

Knox City Council has closed many of its public facilities to help prevent the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19) within the community. This includes the Civic Centre Customer Service Counter. More information

Disabled Parking Permits

The purpose of the Statewide Disabled Persons Parking Scheme is to provide people with significant ambulatory or intellectual disabilities with equality of opportunity to access facilities and services throughout the State. Permits issued under this Scheme are also recognised in other States under reciprocal arrangements.

The Scheme is administered by individual municipal councils in accordance with the guidelines in this Code, to ensure consistent administrative practices and eligibility criteria.

Further information on disability parking can be found on the VicRoads website.

What types of disabled parking permits are available?

In Victoria there are two categories of permit available:

  • Category 1 (Blue permits) - allows you to park in a disabled person parking bay AND park in an ordinary bay for twice the time limit specified.
  • Category 2 (Green permits) - ONLY allows you to park in an ordinary parking bay for twice time indicated by any signage.

If there is a fee payable for parking in either of these areas, this must still be paid.

What if my condition is not permanent?

Temporary permits are available to persons who may be disabled or incapacitated for greater than 6 months.

My permit is about to expire, what do I do?

If your permit is going to expire, Council will send a renewal application approximately 3-4 weeks prior to the expiry date.

If you haven't received this application one week before the permit is due to expire, please contact Council on 9298 8000 or print a copy of the application below and forward it to the office for processing.

Renewal forms will not be sent to those holders of a temporary permit, a full application form needs to be completed by the applicant and their physician.

I am having overseas visitors, can they get a permit?

Ensure that your overseas visitor brings their permit with them to Australia. An overseas permit can be used in all states and territories except for Victoria, subject to local regulations being followed. In Victoria, a temporary permit can be arranged through VicRoads. The application should be made at least one month prior to arrival.

Further information can be found on the VicRoads website.

Other Disability Services

Find out more about the range of disability services provided by Council on our Disability page.

Powered by