Knox Your City
Skip Links
Visit our LinkedIn pageContact Knox City Council
Knox Dog Play Park in Knoxfield

Frequently Asked Questions about Animals and Pets

Online Service Requests

You can lodge any of the following requests online:

I've lost my dog or cat, what do I do?

If you have lost your dog or cat, you can report your missing dog by calling Council on 9298 8000 during opening hours. Give as many details as you can including a description of your animal, colour, gender, size, hair type (long/short) and where you last saw it. Describe any collars or identification that it was wearing as well.

If you've lost or found a pet you can also go to Council's Facebook page dedicated to reuniting owners with their pets 24/7 at Lost Animals in Knox and add some details. If we find your pet, or locate the owner of one you've found, we'll let you know as soon as possible.

Council has a Lost and Found Register and records all details of lost or found animals on it. Next, you can start contacting neighbouring Councils and animals shelters. Contact details for neighbouring councils and animal welfare organisations can be found on our Handy Contacts for Pet Owners page.

How do I register my dog and/or cat with Knox Council?

To register your dog and/or cat, please see our Animal Registration page for full details and to download the Animal Registration Form. Pet registration fees are also listed and can be paid in person at the Knox Civic Centre or by mail by filling in the form and posting it in with the appropriate fee and supporting paperwork.

A Council registration identification tag will then be sent to you once the database has been updated.

Don't forget to put the Council registration tag on your pet when you receive it - apart from being a requirement under State Legislation (Domestic Animals Act 1994), it will also help us return your pet to you in the event you are separated and your pet becomes lost.

How much does it cost to register my dog and/or cat?

Registration fees are different for dogs and cats, depending which category they fall in to. For details on the fee structure and to find out if your pet is eligible for a discounted rate, please see our Animal Registration page.

What's the difference between Category One and Category Two animals?

  • Category One animals are animals that have been desexed, microchipped, obedience trained, are over 10 years old or who are owned by members of an applicable organisation with which the animals are registered.
  • Category Two animals are all other animals to which a description of category one does not apply.

Is there a discount for pensioners?

Yes, the registration fee for animals owned by pensioners is half the applicable fee, unless the dog is a Declared Dangerous Dog, Menacing Dog or a Restricted Breed Dog. To see which cards are eligible click on the link at the bottom of the screen.

I've changed address - How do I change my animal registration details?

You can contact customer service via our website to change your animal registration details online. All online requests will be actioned during opening hours.

Or you can also download a 'Change of Animal Registration Details' form below.

With this form you can change your address, the desexing status of your pet, add a microchip number or a pension card number.

Do dogs have to be on a lead?

Knox has rules that govern where your dog can be off lead, and under what conditions. For more information visit:

Dogs in Public Places

Where does a dog have to be on a lead?

In all areas signed as Bushland/Conservation areas, on all bicycle/walking tracks, children's playgrounds, carparks, footpaths, schools and shopping centres.

You can download our brochure 'Dogs in Public Places' below.

What can I do about a barking dog?

If you are comfortable doing so Council recommends that the aggrieved neighbour directly approach the offending dog owner and request they take action to control their dog's barking. Often dog owners may not be aware of the problems, especially where they are away from home during working hours.

Where a direct approach to an owner is unsuccessful or you do not feel comfortable in approaching the dog owner Council will:

  • Contact you to confirm details of the complaint.
  • Familiarise itself with the circumstance of the alleged nuisance.
  • Endeavour to identify the subject dog.
  • Visit the property.
  • Advise the Dog Owner of the complaint without naming the Complainant.
  • Grant the Dog Owner 14 days to commence to resolve the alleged problem.
  • Confirm in writing the advice to the Dog Owner.
  • Verbally advise the Complainant of the action taken and confirm advice in writing, asking that if the problem is not resolved within 14 days to advise Council.

You will be asked to complete a questionnaire and keep a log sheet of the incidence of barking by the alleged offending dog for 14 days.

If after approaching the neighbours the problem persists and/or you wish to pursue a complaint, you can contact Council on 9298 8000 or you can lodge an online complaint. An Officer will then contact you to discuss the issue in more detail.

Powered by