Knox Your City
Skip Links
Visit our LinkedIn pageContact Knox City Council

Responsible Pet Ownership

Owning a pet is a responsibility

  • Before buying or adopting a dog, think about the best breed to suit your family and your lifestyle. There are many avenues available to get advice on the right kind of pet for you – maybe a cat would suit your lifestyle better. Listed below are links to organisations that can assist you with this decision. There is also an online Responsible Dog Ownership Course that you can take to find out more about your legal responsibilities as a dog owner.
  • Register your dog or cat with Council from the time it is 3 months of age.
  • Make sure your dog is trained and has the chance to meet other dogs and other people from the time it is young. The age between 12 -16 weeks is the time when events, situations and experiences have the most impact on your dog. Socialising and introducing positive experiences to your pup during this time will assist in raising a happy and content dog that can be taken to public places.
  • Microchip your dog or cat and keep your contact details up to date. This will mean your pet has permanent ID throughout Australia!
  • All dogs and cats that are registered for the first time with Council must be microchipped. This includes dogs and cats that have been previously registered with another Council and transfer to Knox City Council.
  • A dog or cat is a 'long time' commitment, so think about who will look after your pet if something should happen to you. Many organisations offer pet bequests, including the RSPCA, Lort Smith Animal Hospital, Animal Welfare League or the Australian Animal Protection Society. Check with the Australian Taxation Office or your Accountant as you may be entitled to a tax deduction.

Random Door Knocks

Knox Community Laws Officers conduct random door knocks throughout Knox checking for unregistered dogs and cats. Fines for dogs and cats found unregistered attract penalties of $330.00 each.

To have more than 2 dogs or 2 cats on one property, a permit is necessary under Council’s General Provisions Local Law No 2010. For more information about animal permits visit our Animal Permits page.

Council manages animal registration and animal issues in compliance with the Domestic Animals Act 1994 in Victoria.

Education programs

Sometimes pets are like children and test their boundaries with us. Behaviour of animals is listed as one of the main reasons pet owners surrender their pets.

Education in dealing with different behaviour issues can help pet owners better deal with their pets. If you are having issues with your pet whether it is a cat or a dog, there is information available to help you.

Check in with your vet, contact an obedience club or animal behaviourist or check online for sessions held in your area.

The RSPCA conduct different information sessions for owners including:

  • how to deal with separation anxiety, which can also be a cause of barking problems;
  • dealing with thunderstorms; or
  • providing environmental enrichment for your cat.

Visit the RSPCA's website page for details about pet information sessions, dates and times.

Pet Companion Program - Bridges Connecting Communities

Bridges Connecting Communities offer The Pet Companion Program which support and acknowledges the importance of companion animals in the home.

The Pet Companion Program is available to residents who are on an aged or disability pension and require assistance with the care of their pets.

The services provided by The Pet Companion Program, carried out by volunteers, include dog walking, grooming and transport.

Powered by