Knox Your City
Skip Links
Visit our LinkedIn pageContact Knox City Council
Road reserve diagram

Working in Road Reserves

Prior to any works at your property which necessitate you, or a contractor employed by you, to excavate any part of the road reserve outside your property, eg road surface, footpath, naturestrip, street or drainage reserve, the Road Management Act 2004 requires that you obtain a Consent for Works Permit (Road Opening Permit) from the responsible Road Authority.

In order to ensure that Council maintains a safe and effective infrastructure, Knox City Council requires that all work in the Road Reserve be done within Council guidelines and specifications.

A fee of $187.00 is payable via credit card when submitting this application online. Please note that a 0.4% merchant service is charged on all credit card transactions.

A site plan is required when lodging a Road Opening permit application. Provide a diagram showing the location of the proposed works and all the assets within the vicinity. Assets include all trees, landscaping, road pavement, kerb & channel, drains, service authority assets and private assets affected by the works.

A traffic management plan (TMP) is also required for all works undertaken on collector, industrial, and link roads within the municipality, as classified in Council's Public Road Register. TMP's must be submitted for approval prior to commencement of works.

How to apply for a Road Opening Permit

Applications for Road Opening Permits (Works Within Road Reserve) can be submitted online. Before you lodge your application you will need to be registered to use this service.


Applying for a Road Opening Permit

Already registered?

Apply for a Road Opening Permit

Following receipt of your application and fee, a Council officer will undertake a site inspection. If approved you will receive the permit via email within 5 business days.

If we are unable to approve your permit for any reason, an officer will contact you to discuss your application further.

If you would like any more information, please contact our Asset Preservation Officer on 9298 8195.

Council Reserve Access

Enquiries regarding requests to access Council owned or managed land with the municipality can be made in several ways:

  • In person to Customer Service at the Knox Civic Centre.
  • Internet, email, fax or letter.
  • Download an 'Application for Council Reserve Access Permit' below.

The consent process for Accessing Council Owned or Managed Land consists of the following steps:

  • Customer completes a 'Council Reserve Access Permit form - Notification of Proposed Works' and submits to Council.
  • Customer completes a 'Reserve Access EFT Form for Refund of Bond' if refund of bond by EFT is preferred and submitted to Council along with the 'Council Reserve Access Permit' application form.
  • An Asset Protection Officer will inspect the site to consider the request.
  • If denied, the customer will be notified in writing and given reasons why.
  • If approved, a Council Reserve Access Permit form is lodged along with the fee and payment of a bond.
  • Council inspects the site and the applicant is notified in writing of the outcome. If works are completed as per the permit the bond is then released. Payment by preferred option. Either EFT directly into nominated account or by cheque.

If you would like any more information, please contact our Site Enforcement Officer on 9298 8869.

Powered by