Knox Your City
Skip Links
Visit our LinkedIn pageContact Knox City Council
Ambleside Homestead in Ferntree Gully

Ambleside Park Homestead, Ferntree Gully

Other names: Ambleside Park/Hansen Homestead
Date of Construction: 1899
Type of Place: Farm house, later a private residence, currently headquarter of the Knox Historical Society
Listing Status: Listed by the National Trust Aust (Vic.) as of historical interest. F.N. 3128.

History of Ambleside Park Homestead

This single storey former farm house of the very late Victorian era was built on one of the early Crown Allotments in the Berwick Shire (Scoresby Riding) later known as Ferntree Gully.

A mixed farm of 210 acres, the selection was taken up in 1872. The house represents the later stability of the settlers. Ephraim Hansen gained the Crown Grant in 1887 and built the house in 1899 having first lived in a modest timber dwelling. The solid practical Hawthorn brick house is built in the Italianate style of multi-chrome brick and is a reflection of progressive building techniques of the time.

Built in the transition between the Victorian and Edwardian era just before Federation, the house is on a slight rise with views to the City of Melbourne and a backdrop of the Dandenong National Park.

The garden has significant trees and shrubs dating from the 1870s, 1890s and 1950s.

The Hansens were well and truly settled and experienced before the village settlement occurred, and began to contribute to civic affairs. A nearby street is named after the Hansen family.

Andrew and Ephraim Hansen were Swedish immigrant brothers who cam to Australia in the 1860s. They worked for 14 years around Victoria including the Henty property at Portland in 1865.

Andrew settled at the site of the plains of the Dandenong Ranges (where Knox City Shopping Centre stands today) and grew flowers and vegetables. Ephraim settled at Ferntree Gully on the site now known as Ambleside (only 2 acres remain). A general farm, the land extended from Forest Road to Mountain Road (now Olivebank Road). Later subdivision, 92 northern acres in 1919 and 89 acres in 1921, left 29 acres. In 1952 on the death of Ephraim’s son (also Ephraim), the property was sold to O and M David. After provision for their family, the David’s bequeathed the house and 2 acres to the City of Knox in 1970. It was made available to the Knox Historical Society in 1977.

Where is Ambleside Park Homestead located?


Address 3 Olivebank Road, Ferntree Gully VIC 3156. Google Map
Enquiries: Phone the Knox Historical Society on 9758 6722
Website: Knox Historical Society


Ambleside Park makes an ideal setting for weddings and photographs, for more information please contact Knox Historical Society on 9758 6722 .

Powered by