Knox Your City
Skip Links
Visit our LinkedIn pageContact Knox City Council

Public Health and Wellbeing Act Premises

Health businesses include hairdressing, beauty parlours, tattooing, ear-piercing and colonic irrigation. These businesses, and any others involving penetration of the skin, must be registered with Council.

Depending on the type of business and the changes you may be making you may also need to contact Councils Building and Planning Departments to obtain other relevant permits.

Accommodation (Boarding Houses)

For information about setting up, selling or buying an accommodation premises including a boarding house see our Boarding Houses and Shared Accommodation page.

Hairdressing and Make Up Businesses

Changes to the registration process for hairdressing and make up businesses were passed by Parliament on 16 April 2015. These changes allow eligible business to apply for a "one-off" or "ongoing" registration from 1 March 2016. Please see the link below for further information.

For more information

To view or download forms to register or transfer a health premise, see our Public Health and Wellbeing Act Forms page.

See the links below or to discuss the requirements and process involved in purchasing or setting up a new Public Health and Wellbeing Act business, please contact Health Services on 9298 8165 or email

Powered by