Knox Your City
Skip Links
Visit our LinkedIn pageContact Knox City Council

Social Support

What are the Social Support programmes?

Social Support for Individuals and Social Support - Group Activities are funded by the Commonwealth Government as part of the Commonwealth Home Support Programme.

  • Social Support for Individuals provides a companion either in your home or accompanying you to access the community.
  • Social Support - Group Activities provides an opportunity for eligible older residents to keep active in the community by joining in a planned program of activities.

What Services can Knox City Council offer?

Elderly men talking at a kitchen table

Social Support for Individuals

Assistance is provided by a companion (paid worker) to an individual, which aims to meet the person’s need for social contact and company in order to participate in community life. Don't give up the activities you love!

Services may involve:

  • In home services, including general social interaction, or shared activities such as completing puzzles, jigsaws or word games, reading a book or watching a film.
  • Accompanied activities out of the home, including going for a local walk, shopping, bill paying, assisting people to access recreational facilities such as the pool, arts or community centre.

Social support is usually provided one-on-one but may also be provided to more than one person, for example, where social support is provided to a couple. We encourage you to discuss your request with us, as we will do our best to support you to keep on doing the activities that you love.

Planned activity group with flowers

Social Support - Group Activities

Formerly known as Planned Activity Groups (PAG), Social Support - Group Activities offers enjoyable activities that promote independence and provide physical, emotional, mental and social stimulation which can enhance the well-being of older people. Activities may include:

  • guest speakers
  • games
  • cooking
  • gardening
  • luncheon outings, and much more!

Light refreshments may be provided. Services may include personal assistance (e.g. help with toileting).

The program caters for people from diverse backgrounds. Transport associated with attendance at the centre can be arranged.

How to access our services

If you are over 65 years of age (over 50 years for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people) please call the Australian Government My Aged Care Contact Centre on 1800 200 422 (Monday to Friday from 8 am to 8 pm and Saturday from 10 am to 2 pm) or visit

Translated information is also available on the My Aged Care website in Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Arabic, Croatian, Greek, Italian, Korean, Polish, Serbian, Spanish, Vietnamese, Dutch, German, Hindi, Hungarian, Maltese, Macedonian and Russian.

Translation and Interpreter Services are available by calling 131 450 (TIS National). Ask TIS to telephone Knox City Council on (03) 9298 8000.

If you are under 65 years of age (under 50 years for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people) please visit In-Home Services for people under 65.

Fees and accounts

Fees will be discussed with you before any service commences.

For Social Support for Individuals, fees are based on the income of the household and vary for each service and client.
For Social Support - Group Activities, a small contribution is required for attendance.

Helpful links

Our commitment to you

Information for clients: client rights and responsibilities, fees and accounts, service changes, our staff and volunteers, advocacy, compliments and complaints, and your privacy.

Other useful information for seniors: including regarding carers, transport assistance, elder abuse, disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Queer (LGBTIQ) support.

Useful info for LGBTIQ+ seniors


This service is supported by the Australian Government Department of Health. Visit for more information.

Powered by