Knox Your City
Skip Links
Visit our LinkedIn pageContact Knox City Council

Amending a Planning Permit

You may find yourself in a situation where you need to make a change to your Planning Permit or Approved Plans. You can apply to Council to:

  • Amend the conditions of a planning permit
  • Amend the use or development for which the planning permit was issued (what the permit allows)
  • Amend the approved plans

The significance of the changes you want to make will determine what type of application you need to make.

Minor changes to the approved plans

If you want to make minor changes to the plans that were approved as part of your planning permit application, you can apply under ‘secondary consent’.

You cannot apply under 'secondary consent' to change permit conditions or what the permit allows.

All other changes

All other applications to change an approved planning permit, are lodged through an application to amend a planning permit.

Amending a permit issued by VCAT

Some planning permits that are issued as the result of an appeal to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) contain conditions that restrict Council from making amendments. It is important that you read the planning permit conditions carefully. In these cases, the application to amend a permit needs to be made to VCAT.

How to apply

You can apply to amend a Planning Permit either online or in person at Council's offices.

To lodge an application to amend, you will need to submit the following information:

  • An Application Form (links at the bottom of this page). If you are applying online, this is not necessary.
  • Current copy of the Certificate of Title for your property (less than 3 months old). You can get a current copy of the Certificate of Title for your property from Landata.
  • The original permit number.
  • Information about whether the development has commenced.
  • A clear explanation of the changes that you want to make to your planning permit.
  • Copies of plans, clearly identifying any changes.

Applying Online

To lodge a planning application online, you must be a Registered User to use this service.

Register for Online Services

Apply for a Secondary Consent (minor changes to the approved plans)

Apply for an Amendment to a Planning Permit (all other changes)

Powered by