Knox Your City
Skip Links
Visit our LinkedIn pageContact Knox City Council


Front Fences

Part 5 of the Building Regulations deals with all front fence requirements including, height, construction, location and safety of the public.

Construction of a front fence over 1 metre in height on or within 9 metres of an intersection (corner blocks) will require a Report & Consent, as well as a Building Permit. Refer to Report and Consent Applications and Building Permits

Lots under 300m2 will require a Planning Permit.

Please refer to the links at the bottom of this page for download files or contact details for further information.

Boundary Fences

Standard height for boundary fences between adjoining properties can be up to 2 metres in height and can have open lattice up to 500mm high on top of the fence (maximum 2.5 mtrs in height) with the agreement of all affected owners. Fences greater than 2mtrs in height require a Building Permit and may require Report and Consent from Council. Refer to Report and Consent Applications and Building Permits

Disputes regarding boundary fences are a civil matter, and therefore not controlled by council.

For enquiries/advice on boundary fences and disputes, please refer to the Department of Justice Dispute Settlement Centre or Fencing online. (contact details below)

Boundary Fences adjacent to Council Land

Where a fence requiring replacement abuts Council Land (excluding laneways, walkways or the street, which are not considered boundary fences), Council will contribute half the cost for the following:

  • A Standard Paling fence, 1.6metres (5’4”) in height for standard allotments/local reserves (no trellis or variations).
  • A Tree Reserve fence, 1.9metres (6’4”) in height with capping and every third post exposed for tree reserve allotments/along main arterials.

Any additions or variations to the above (e.g. increased height, gate installation or trellis) will be at the cost of the applicant. Council does not contribute to general maintenance and repair of existing fences.
If you would like to apply to Council for half cost fencing, Council requires that you provide 2 quotations from a registered provider with the following information included on the quote:

  • Your name
  • Your Address
  • Your Contact Details

To place a request for half cost fencing, please submit your quotes online - Trees and Parks - Other trees or parks enquiry or:

Send by mail addressed to:
Parks Department
Knox City Council
511 Burwood Highway

If fencing is down and deemed urgent (e.g. swimming pool exposed or animals no longer enclosed), the resident needs to only supply one (1) quote online as above and can call Council directly to flag the urgency of the request. Note that Council does not provide temporary fencing if the fence has fallen down.

Please note that the responsibility for rear fences adjacent to Eastlink requiring replacement due to fair wear and tear is the sole responsibility of the property owner.

The legal requirement relating to costs for boundary fences is set out in Section 4, Schedule 5 of the Road Management Act 2004.

Declared Roads

A declared road is defined as: a freeway or an arterial road within the meaning of the Road Management Act 2004.

Front fences can have a maximum height of 2m on declared roads.

The following are Declared Roads in Knox:

  • Basin Olinda Road
  • Boronia Road
  • Burwood Highway
  • Dorset Road
  • Ferntree Gully Road
  • Forest Road (from Boronia Rd to Mountain Hwy)
  • High Street Road
  • Kelletts Road
  • Lysterfield Road (from Napoleon Rd to Wellington Rd)
  • Mountain Highway
  • Napoleon Road
  • Scoresby Road
  • Stud Road
  • Wantirna Road
  • Wellington Road

Need Help?

If you have questions, you can contact us on 9298 8125 or alternatively, you can lodge a request below and a staff member will get back to you.

Contact Building Services


On boundary fencing enquiries contact:

Dispute Settlement Centre (Department of Justice)
Tel: 1300 372 888 or 1800 658 528

Fencing Online website links are also listed below.

Powered by