Knox Your City
Skip Links
Visit our LinkedIn pageContact Knox City Council

Owner Builders

If the value of your proposed domestic building work is more than $16,000 you will need to apply for a certificate of consent from the VBA (Victorian Building Authority) to become an owner-builder.

An owner builder can only undertake works with a value greater than $16,000 on buildings in which they reside or intend to reside in upon completion of works.

When determining the cost of works for a project all costs must be assessed and included, this includes labour costs for the owner and any contractors or assistants and materials. When necessary a Relevant Building Surveyor may set a value or request a report by a Registered Qualified Quantity Surveyor.

An owner builder cannot undertake multi-unit development projects or act as a builder on a property they own if it is not their principle place of residence.

As an owner builder, Home Owners Warranty Insurance is not required unless the property is to be sold within 6 years of the completion of works. A project is considered complete when the Final Inspection Certificate or Occupancy Permit is issued by the Relevant Building Surveyor.

As a condition of insurance the home owner will be required to have a technical inspection carried out by an Insurer Approved Inspection Service.

Need Help?

Victorian Building Authority

733 Bourke Street
Docklands VIC 3008
Tel: 1300 815 127
Victorian Building Authority - Owner Builders


If you have questions, you can contact us on 9298 8125 or alternatively, you can lodge a request below and a staff member will get back to you.

Contact Building Services

Powered by