Welcome to Knox
Skip Links
Visit facebook.com/KnoxcouncilVisit twitter.com/knoxccVisit youtube.com/knoxccVisit our LinkedIn pageContact Knox City Council


Front Fences

Part 5 of the Building Regulations deals with all front fence requirements including, height, construction, location and safety of the public.

Construction of a front fence over 1 metre in height on or within 9 metres of an intersection (corner blocks) will require a Report & Consent, as well as a Building Permit. Refer to Report and Consent Applications and Building Permits

Lots under 300m2 will require a Planning Permit.

Please refer to the links at the bottom of this page for download files or contact details for further information.

Boundary Fences

Standard height for boundary fences between adjoining properties can be up to 2 metres in height and can have open lattice up to 500mm high on top of the fence (maximum 2.5 mtrs in height) with the agreement of all affected owners. Fences greater than 2mtrs in height require a Building Permit and may require Report and Consent from Council. Refer to Report and Consent Applications and Building Permits

Disputes regarding boundary fences are a civil matter, and therefore not controlled by council.

For enquiries/advice on boundary fences and disputes, please refer to the Department of Justice Dispute Settlement Centre or Fencing online. (contact details below)

Declared Roads

A declared road is defined as: a freeway or an arterial road within the meaning of the Road Management Act 2004.

Front fences can have a maximum height of 2m on declared roads.

The following are Declared Roads in Knox:

  • Basin Olinda Road
  • Boronia Road
  • Burwood Highway
  • Dorset Road
  • Ferntree Gully Road
  • Forest Road (from Boronia Rd to Mountain Hwy)
  • High Street Road
  • Kelletts Road
  • Lysterfield Road (from Napoleon Rd to Wellington Rd)
  • Mountain Highway
  • Napoleon Road
  • Scoresby Road
  • Stud Road
  • Wantirna Road
  • Wellington Road

Need Help?

If you have questions, you can contact us on 9298 8125 or alternatively, you can lodge a request below and a staff member will get back to you.

Contact Building Services


On boundary fencing enquiries contact:

Dispute Settlement Centre (Department of Justice)
Tel: 1300 372 888 or 1800 658 528

Fencing Online website links are also listed below.

Powered by