Knox Your City
Skip Links
Visit our LinkedIn pageContact Knox City Council

COVID-19 Update

Restrictions will be in place from 11:59pm Thursday 27 May to 11:59pm on Thursday 10 June. Most council facilities will be closed. Events have been cancelled. Critical services will continue. Find out more

Outdoor dining

COVID Outdoor Dining Permits

We’ve created free, fast-tracked COVID Outdoor Dining Permits to make it as easy as possible for existing food premises registered with Council to provide outdoor dining options safely on public land.

Note: If you are wanting to provide outdoor dining on private land (such as a car park within your certificate of title), you will not require a COVID Outdoor Dining Permit and you may not require planning permit approval from Council.

Our temporary COVID Outdoor Dining Permits allow hospitality venues to:

  • expand onto footpaths
  • take over on-street car parking space immediately outside their business
  • join with neighbouring hospitality businesses to take over sections of on-street car parking, footpaths and (in some cases) street space

Extending outdoor dining will help hospitality businesses cater to more customers and operate within Victorian Government health restrictions.

Apply online

You will need the following to support your application:

  • Confirmation that your business has a COVIDSafe Plan
  • Copy of your Public Liability Insurance Certificate of currency for $20 million and must list Knox City Council as an interested party from your insurance company
  • Details about the furniture, screens, heaters, planters and any other items proposed for the outdoor trading area
  • Site plan (existing conditions and proposed outdoor trading area showing the proposed furniture, infrastructure or any other items, at a scale of 1:100 and/or showing the dimensions of the space of outdoor dining being proposed in your application)
  • Written consent from neighbouring business that are affected by your proposal
  • Any photos or images of site or supporting documents for your application

Note: If you plan to serve alcohol in new or expanded outdoor areas, either on public or private land, you will need to apply for a liquor licence separately through the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR). If your outdoor dining is on public land, you will need a COVID Outdoor Dining Permit from Council before you can apply for your liquor licence.


Eligibility will be assessed against the COVID Outdoor Dining Guidelines. You will need to consider:

  • Safety: outdoor dining areas should have furniture, infrastructure and safety features, as well as allow clear lines of sight through the public place and streets.
  • Site specific conditions: outdoor dining should not compromise existing street uses or public infrastructure such as bins, hydrants, parking meters or bicycle hoops.
  • COVID restrictions: outdoor dining areas must follow the Victorian Government rules about social distancing, COVID hygiene practices and the maximum number of patrons that can be seated at a time. You will need a COVIDSafe Plan
  • Access: outdoor dining should not obstruct required access for essential vehicles, cyclists, pedestrians and allow for disabled access.
  • Traffic: outdoor dining should consider surrounding traffic conditions including speed limits, separation from traffic, intersections, visibility of signs and that drivers and cyclist have a clear sight at all times.

This permit only applies to Outdoor Dining on Council land and is not for activities occurring on private land. Permits will be valid until 31 August 2021. Permit conditions are temporary and may be subject to early variation due to safety, changes to COVID restrictions and conditional on continued consent from other affected businesses. Council may refuse or terminate a permit if a business has unaddressed compliance issues.

For assistance

Our Community Laws team can give you advice about how to apply for a COVID Outdoor Dining Permit and help you apply with all the right information. Please email or call 9298 8000 to discuss your plan.

More information

Powered by