You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.
Skip to the main content

Due to record rainfall, we're behind in our mowing schedule. We're unable to use our mowers while the ground is saturated and the long grass takes longer to mow. Our crews are working hard to catch up. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Bin services

Council collects household garbage, recycling and green waste each week or fortnight from a council-supplied bin.

Residents can report damaged or stolen bins and missed bin collections online.

Food and garden bin service
We are introducing a new food and garden bin service from mid-2023.
This means from July 2023, you can add food scraps to your green bin.
Find out more.

Types of bin services

There are three types of bins in Knox:

  • Yellow lid – for your weekly household rubbish collection. These bins are either 80 or 120 litre capacity. There is an extra charge for 120 litre bins.
  • Blue lid – for your fortnightly recycling collection. These bins are 240  litre capacity. You can order a second 240 litre recycling bin for an extra charge.
  • Red lid – for your fortnightly green waste collection. These bins are 240 litre capacity and are optional for an extra charge.

When to put your bins out

Your rubbish bins are emptied on the same day each week, including all public holidays. They should be placed at the collection point by 6 am on your collection day.

To check when your household rubbish collection day is, see:

Or call our Customer Service team on 9298 8000.

Organising bin services

You can request a new bin, report a damaged bin or report a missing bin online. 

Request a new bin service

Report a damaged bin

Report a stolen or missing bin 

Online requests are actioned during opening hours.

The property owner or real estate agent must make these requests. If you are a tenant, contact them directly.

Change or cancel your bin

You can change your bin size or cancel a bin by completing the residential waste bin request form.

Submit your completed form to us:

  • by email
  • by mail or in-person - Knox City Council, 511 Burwood Highway, Wantirna South VIC 3152.

The property owner or real estate agent must make these requests. If you are a tenant, contact them directly.

If you are changing a bin size, please leave the empty bin out after collection for changeover the next day.

Please note that businesses must use a different service.

Missed bin collection

If your bin contents are not collected by 6 pm on your collection day, you can report a missed bin collection online.

Report a missed bin collection

You can also call us on 9298 8000 within 36 hours (1.5 business days) of your scheduled collection day.

Should you find a sticker on your bin or a notice in your letterbox, follow the directions on the sticker or notice.

Need help?

Contact us and we will get back to you.

Or call our Customer Service team on 9298 8000.

Our services


Stay up to date with our newsletter

subscribe icon