Book a hard waste collection
Knox City Council collects hard rubbish weekly. You can now book your hard rubbish collection online.
Book in person or over the phone
Visit us at 511 Burwood Highway, or call us on 9298 8000 during opening hours (9am – 5pm Monday – Friday).
The day of the week you make the booking determines when your hard waste is collected:
- Bookings made on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday will be collected from Monday of the next week.
- Bookings made on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday will be collected not the next week but from Monday the week after.
Eligible residential households can book up to two hard waste collections each financial year (1 July – 30 June).
Whilst most properties are eligible, there is a small group that aren't. This includes:
- tenants in non-rateable properties owned by charities
- properties with private collections.
Items for collection
You must not put out anything that weighs more than 30kg and is longer than 1.5m, unless it’s a mattress or fridge.
What you can put out for collection
- Home appliances and whitegoods (doors removed for safety)
- Empty paint tins, drums and tanks with lids removed
- Roofing iron and guttering (max 1.5m long)
- Metal tools and equipment
- Carpet – rolled and tied (max 1.5m long)
- Mattresses and bed bases (limit of two total)
- Pottery and ceramics
- Secure sheet glass - wrapped for safety
- Timber (max 10 pieces, max 1.5m long and max 30kg in weight)
- Tree stumps (max 1.5m long and 30kg in weight).
You can also put e-waste out for collection. This includes items such as:
- computers and laptops
- lighting equipment.
Find out more about disposing of your e-waste.
What you can't put out for collection
- Building, demolition or renovation materials including toilets, baths and spa baths
- Asbestos, oil, paint, batteries, liquids, chemical or hazardous waste
- Gas bottles, fuel containers, Gyprock, cement sheet or plaster
- Soil, bricks, concrete, sand, dirt, rubble or roof or ceramic tiles
- Gates, fencing, trellis or pallets
- Tyres or car parts of any kind
- Green waste, except tree stumps (max 1.5m long and 30kg in weight)
- Household rubbish or recyclables
- Commercial waste
- Insulated heating/cooling ducts.
Some of these items can be taken to the Knox Transfer Station and Recycling Facility. Other waste centres may also be an option.
Some materials such as asbestos or hazardous waste may need special disposal arrangements.
Putting your hard rubbish out
For most residents, the collection point will be on the nature strip, unless you don’t have one. Please call us before putting out your waste if you do not have a nature strip.
Make sure you have:
- booked your collection before you place your waste out so that we know that it is not illegally dumped waste
- put your hard waste out on the weekend before your scheduled collection. If it is not put out in time you may miss your collection and have to rebook
- removed fridge and freezer doors
- make sure there are no hazardous or unacceptable items
- placed small or loose items in non-returnable boxes (not in plastic bags)
- all glass is securely wrapped and labelled for safety.
Please contact us within a week of your allocated collection week if your waste is not collected.
Items left behind
If there are items left after the collection, check your letterbox for a flyer that will explain why it was not taken.
You must remove hard waste material within seven days, unless it’s hazardous. Items posing a safety concern should be removed immediately.
It is illegal to leave hard waste outside your property without a collection booking.
Contact us and we will get back to you.
Or call our Customer Service team on 9298 8000.