Registering a event
Event organisers need to comply with the following registration requirements:
Victorian Government COVIDSafe approval
Find out about Victorian COVIDSafe Events Registration
Knox Council Event Permit
If you are planning to hold an event on Council owned land or property, such as a reserve, community gardens, civic plaza or open space, you need to register your event with Knox City Council.
To register your event and obtain a Community Event Permit, please complete an online event registration form at least eight weeks before your event is due to take place.
For major events and festivals of over 5000 people, three to six months notification may be required.
Once you have completed the registration form, the Events team will assess your information and determine whether you need an event permit.
If your event requires a permit, you will need to submit the following compulsory documents:
- Venue booking confirmation
- Certificate of Currency (Public Liability Insurance cover) - minimum of $10 million for small events and $20 million for larger events.
- Event site plan/map
- Event management plan
- Risk management plan
- Waste management plan
- Traffic management plan (if applicable)
- Covid Safe Plan.
In addition to the compulsory documents, you may require additional permits and approval from other Council departments, government agencies and regulatory bodies.
Helpful examples and templates
You may find the following useful:
- Event site plan example – email email@example.com for a site map of your location
- Event management plan template
- Risk management plan template
- Traffic management control plan – example
- Traffic Management Guide for Events – Safe Work Australia
Planning an event guide
Council offers support to community run events by providing best practice event management information and guidance to event organisers. Our aim is to enable well organised, sustainable, safe, compliant and locally engaging community events in Knox.
For information about planning an event in Knox, see our Community Events in Knox - Info Pack.
Event spaces in Knox
Knox City Council has an extensive network of open spaces, recreation and sporting reserves and facilities, halls and other community facilities for hire.