Skip to main content

Find all the latest information about COVID-19 restrictions, facility closures, vaccination centres, plus resources and support available in Knox at

Holding a community event

As a result of COVID-19 restrictions, organisers need to register community events on Council land with both the Victorian Government and Knox City Council. 

Council can also provide guidance on best practice event management for event organisers.

Registering a event

Event organisers need to comply with the following registration requirements:

Victorian Government COVIDSafe approval  

Find out about Victorian COVIDSafe Events Registration

Knox Council Event Permit

If you are planning to hold an event on Council owned land or property, such as a reserve, community gardens, civic plaza or open space, you need to register your event with Knox City Council.

To register your event and obtain a Community Event Permit, please complete an online event registration form at least eight weeks before your event is due to take place.

For major events and festivals of over 5000 people, three to six months notification may be required.

Once you have completed the registration form, the Events team will assess your information and determine whether you need an event permit.

Complete an online event registration form

Required documentation

If your event requires a permit, you will need to submit the following compulsory documents:

  • Venue booking confirmation
  • Certificate of Currency (Public Liability Insurance cover) - minimum of $10 million for small events and $20 million for larger events.
  • Event site plan/map
  • Event management plan
  • Risk management plan
  • Waste management plan
  • Traffic management plan (if applicable)
  • Covid Safe Plan.

In addition to the compulsory documents, you may require additional permits and approval from other Council departments, government agencies and regulatory bodies.

Helpful examples and templates

You may find the following useful:

Planning an event guide 

Council offers support to community run events by providing best practice event management information and guidance to event organisers. Our aim is to enable well organised, sustainable, safe, compliant and locally engaging community events in Knox.

For information about planning an event in Knox, see our Community Events in Knox - Info Pack.

Event spaces in Knox

Knox City Council has an extensive network of open spaces, recreation and sporting reserves and facilities, halls and other community facilities for hire.

Parks and reserves

Passive open spaces like parks and reserves are non-bookable spaces.

However, depending on the type of events you are hosting, you may be granted permission to use the space, provided public access is maintained at all times.

No part of these areas is available for exclusive use or access.

There are some parks that are more suited to events than others in Knox, due to safety, parking, zoning and open space.

For more information about event ready sites, please email or call the Events team on 9298 8000. 

Active sporting reserves and pavilions

Sporting Reserves are known as active spaces. Council’s Leisure Team manages use of active sporting precincts (such as ovals or soccer grounds).

Active sporting precincts can be made available to the public or community events during off sporting season.

Community Events are only considered where activities do not impact on the sporting reserve.

Please contact the Council’s Leisure team on 9298 8000 or email to check site availability.

Indoor sporting facilities

A number of indoor facilities are available for hire and are subject to the casual hire guidelines.

For more information please call Council’s Customer Service on 9298 8000, or see our community facilities for hire

Please note that Party Safe registration must be obtained with Victoria Police if community facilities are booked for 18th and 21st birthday parties. See for more details.

Private property

An event permit is not required if you are planning to hold your event on privately owned property or land. However, you are still required to comply with other local, state and federal laws and regulations. For example, you need a permit if you intend to have fireworks on your private property.

For further information, please contact the Events team on 9298 8000 or email

On local roads, bike paths or council-owned carpark

A traffic management plan may be required if your event is on Council’s local roads, bike paths or carpark, and if it is likely to change the traffic conditions.

The traffic management plan will need to be professionally drawn and approved by Council’s Traffic and Transport Team.

Event organisers are required to submit their traffic management plan at least three months before their event, and at least six months if approval from VicRoads is required.

Need help?

Email and we will get back to you.

Or call our Events team on 9298 8000.  


Stay up to date with our newsletter

subscribe icon