As part of the Victoria’s Big Build Program, Major Road Projects Victoria are upgrading the intersection at Burwood Highway, McMahons Road and Clyde Street in Ferntree Gully. Works are being done to help reduce traffic bottlenecks and make the intersection safer for both pedestrians and road users in Knox.
What improvements are being made?
The upgrade includes:
- installation of traffic lights and pedestrian crossings
- new lanes in each direction of Burwood Highway through the intersection
- new dedicated right turn lanes, shared left turn and through lanes at McMahons Road and Clyde Street
- new left turn lane from Burwood Highway into Clyde Street
It is anticipated that these works will minimise the risk of crashes and make it easier to move through the intersection. Access to local Knox businesses will also be improved and, with the installation of additional streetlights, the intersection will be more visible.
When are the works happening?
The first stage of works for this project will take place between 7am and 5pm, Mondays – Saturdays from now until late September.
The entire upgrade is due for completion in 2024.
Will there be any road closures or detours?
Whilst works are underway, there will be some changes to the way we can all travel in and around this area so additional travel time should be planned for.
Traffic changes include:
- Traffic reduced from one lane to two along Burwood Highway between Manna Gum and Burke Roads
- Closure of McMahons Road between Burwood Highway and Cinerea Avenue. Detours will be in place via Bourke Road and Stephens Road
- Closure of the Burwood Highway service road on the northwest side, beside McMahons Road. All local traffic will enter and exit via Manna Gun Road
- Closure of the service road entry on the northeast side of Burwood Highway beside McMahons Road. All local traffic will enter and exit via Burke Road
- Closure of the service road on the southern side of Burwood Highway between Clyde Street and Hayward Road. Hayward Road will be accessible from the western exit/entry only
- Reduced speed limits in the area
- Traffic controllers in place
What are the changes to public transport?
Bus routes 732 and 967 will be impacted from now until November. The following stops will not be operating:
- Manna Gum Road/Burwood Highway (to Upper Ferntree Gully) Stop no. 8267
- McMahons Road/Burwood Highway (to Upper Ferntree Gully) Stop no. 8268
- Clyde Street/Burwood Highway (to Box Hill) Stop no. 8711
Passengers are advised to use the following alternative stops:
- Lightwood Drive/Burwood Highway (to Upper Ferntree Gully) Stop no. 16064
- Burke Road/Burwood Highway (to Upper Ferntree Gully) Stop no. 8269
- Hayward Road/Burwood Highway (to Box Hill) Stop no. 8710
Where can I get more information?
For more information or to follow the progress of this project, see the Major Roads Project Victoria website: Burwood Highway-McMahons Road Intersection Upgrade - Victoria’s Big Build.
Any enquiries can also be directed to Major Roads Project Victoria via phone 1800 105 105 (24/7) or email email@example.com.