Knox Your City
Skip Links
Visit our LinkedIn pageContact Knox City Council
Ruccis circus performers at Knox Festival

Community Events

New COVIDSafe regulations for community events

Council is working towards reactivating public spaces with COVIDSafe community events. As a result of COVID-19 restrictions, organisers will now need to comply with two approval processes in order to hold community events on Council land:
1. Victorian COVIDSafe Events Registration (Victorian Government approval)
2. Knox Community Events Registration (Council Event Permit)

Please click on the links above for more information.
You may start planning and registering your event, however please note that preferred event dates and venues will be subject to availability and suitability under COVIDSafe planning and permit requirements.

For more information, please contact the Events Team at or 9298 8000.

Are you planning an event in Knox?

If you are planning to hold an event on Council owned land or property, such as a reserve, community gardens, civic plaza or open space, you need to register your event with Knox City Council.

By registering your event with Council, you will ensure:

  • The space is available and suitable for your event
  • You are compliant with relevant laws, regulations and safety measures
  • You receive a Council authorised Event Permit if required
  • You enjoy the benefits of Council marketing and social media support

Community Events Guide

This community events portal provides an overview of key information required to register your event and receive a Community Event Permit to run an event in Knox.

For more detailed information about planning an event in Knox, please download the Community Events in Knox - Info Pack.

Community Event Permit

In 2020, Council introduced a community Event Permit, as a way to group all the regulations and compliance activities required for events on public land, into one permit – rather than many permits across multiple areas of Council. Council offers a central event support service alongside community event registrations and permit applications, to help event organisers navigate the often complex and high-risk areas of running events in public spaces.

The Community Event Permit is an online application process, with the Local Law 2020 stating:

Without a permit, a person must not conduct a function, event, busking or entertainment on any road or Council land that:
  1. substantially occupies the road or Council land; or
  2. encroaches or impacts or is likely to encroach or impacts, on another person’s use and enjoyment of the road or Council land.

How to Register Your Event

To register your event and to ensure your event receives a Council authorised Community Event Permit, please visit the online event registration portal at least eight weeks prior to your event taking place. For major events and festivals (over 5000 people), three to six months notification may be required. Once you have registered your event, the Events Team will assess your information and determine whether an event permit is required.

Register your event

Compliant Event Documents

If your event requires an event permit, you will need to submit the following compulsory documents:

  • Venue booking confirmation
  • Certificate of Currency (Public Liability Insurance cover) - minimum of $10 Million for small events and $20 Million for larger events.
  • Event site plan/map
  • Event management plan
  • Risk management plan
  • Waste management plan
  • Traffic management plan (if applicable)
  • Covid Safe Plan

Some examples and templates for your use are located in the ‘Helpful Links’ section below.

In addition to the compulsory documents, you may require additional permits and approval from other Council departments, government agencies and regulatory bodies.

If you require any help completing the event registration form or if you have any questions, please contact the Events team on 9298 8000 or via email at

Helpful links:

Where can you host your Event?

Knox City Council has an extensive network of open spaces, recreation and sporting reserves and facilities, halls and other community facilities for hire.
Event usage may be permitted in some of these spaces where it is compatible with the purpose and function of the space.

Parks and Reserves are non-bookable spaces

Passive open spaces like Parks and Reserves are non-bookable spaces. However, depending on the type of events you are hosting, you may be granted permission to use the space, provided public access is maintained at all times. No part of these areas is available for exclusive use or access. There are some parks that are more suited to events than others in Knox, due to safety, parking, zoning and open space. For more information about ‘event ready sites’ please contact the Events Team on 9298 8000 or email

Active Sporting Reserves and Pavilions

Sporting Reserves are known as active spaces. Council’s Leisure Team manages use of active sporting precincts (ovals, soccer grounds, etc.). Active sporting precincts can be made available to the public or community events during off sporting season. Community Events are only considered where activities do not impact on the sporting reserve. Please contact the Council’s Leisure Team on 9298 8000 or email to check site availability.

Indoor Community Facilities

A number of indoor facilities are available for hire and are subject to the casual hire guidelines. For more information please call Council’s Customer Service on 9298 8000, or visit the Community Facilities for Hire information page here.
Please note: Where community facilities are booked for 18th and 21st birthday parties, Party Safe registration must occur with Victoria Police. Please visit for more details.

Private Property

An event permit is not required if you are planning to hold your event on a privately owned property or land. However, you will still be required to comply with other Local, State and Federal laws and regulations. For example, you will require a permit if you intend to have fireworks on your private property. For further information, please contact the Events Team on (03) 9298 8000 or email

On local Roads, Bike Paths or Council Owned Carpark

A traffic management plan may be required if your event is on Council’s local roads, bike paths or carpark, and if it is likely to change the traffic conditions. The traffic management plan will need to be professionally drawn and approved by Council’s Traffic and Transport Team. Event organisers are required to submit their traffic management plan at least three months before their event, and at least six months if approval from VicRoads is required.

Get all the latest news, events and updates from Knox Arts & Events

Powered by