About the grant
The Individual Excellence Grant aims to support local residents to achieve their goals and reach their full potential.
It applies to residents who compete or perform at a state, national or international level in the following areas:
- sports and recreation
- arts and culture
- environmental and/or humanitarian initiatives.
The grant recognises that individuals and their families often have to make many social and economic sacrifices. It is designed to help with the cost of things like:
- uniform or equipment purchase or hire.
This grant has replaced our Individual Sporting Grant.
The following maximum grants apply to competitions or events held:
- in Victoria – $150
- outside Victoria but in Australia – $250
- internationally – $400.
To apply for a grant, you must:
- be a resident of Knox
- be selected or personally invited to take part in a competition or event by a national or state peak body or governing organisation of the specialised area
- not have received an Excellence Grant for Individuals in the current or previous financial year.
You will not be eligible to receive funding under this grant if:
- the competition or event has already taken place
- we have given you a grant under another program for the same competition or event
- you owe money to the Council
- you have not submitted the acquittal documentation for a previous Council grant
- more than two other people from the same club or organisation have already received funding for the competition or event
- you are being paid to take part (excluding prize money)
- you intend to use the funds for membership expenses
- the competition or event exposes Council to criticism due to controversial issues (for example, political or cultural sensitivities).
Applicants under 18 years
If you are under 18 years of age, your application must be supported by your parent or guardian. The grant funding will be paid directly to your parent or guardian.
How to apply
You must apply through the Smarty Grants Portal.
Your application must include a letter or other official documentation from the relevant peak body or governing organisation to confirm that:
- the competition or event is of state, national or international standard, and
- you have been selected or personally invited to take part in the competition or event.
You must also provide a letter detailing proof of costs to be incurred, for example:
- entrance fees.
There is no closing date for applications. It is best that you apply at least two months before the competition or event. This gives us time to assess your application and pay grant funds.
All Council officers involved in the grant assessment process must declare any conflict of interest before assessing any grant applications.
Applications will be assessed by officers in the order in which they are submitted.
After you have received a grant, you must provide proof that you have spent the money in line with the grant conditions.
We must receive this proof within:
- three months of you spending the money, or
- 12 months from receipt of the grant,
whichever is the earlier.
The acquittal must be submitted via the Smarty Grants portal. Failure to do this may result in you having to pay the money back to Council.
Grant recipients may be asked to help with fundraising and promotion of the grants program.
We may also ask you to provide an image and short statement about your experience at the competition or event that we can use to promote the program.
Contact us and we will come back to you.
Or call our Customer Service team on 9298 8000.