Work experience with Knox City Council
Our short term placements are for Year 9 or Year 10 students up to two weeks.
How to apply
Tell us why you'd like to do work experience at Knox City Council.
Please include a cover letter explaining:
- why you'd like to work with us
- which area you'd like to work in
- the dates you can work
- your high school's work experience program dates.
Also include a copy of your resume.
We are not always able to accommodate everyone's request. If an opportunity is available in your preferred work area, we will contact you to discuss and confirm arrangements.
Due to COVID-19 we have temporarily suspended applications for work experience and student placements. Please check back here for updates.
Conditions of work experience
Work experience placements are subject to the following conditions.
- Placements are only available to students from approved secondary schools.
- Work experience placement cannot be longer than 10 working days.
- We pay secondary students $10 per day.
- Signed paperwork between the student's educational institution and Council must be signed before the commencement.
- The student's educational institution must cover their personal injury insurance.
Student Placements with Knox City Council Youth Services
We offer three to four student placements yearly in youth work. There are both general placements and semester applications for student placements.
We do our best to cater to the student’s placement requirements, such as a research project. We cannot provide one-on-one counselling experience.
How to apply
Applications are only open to tertiary students studying Youth Work or related courses for a set period each year. Contact us to find out when.
Students must contact Knox City Council Youth Services before applying. It's important to understand suitability, criteria and the application beforehand.
After contacting us, you will need to prepare a:
- letter of application
- copy of your resume
- completed student information form (we supply the blank form)
- completed out selection criteria form (we supply the blank form).
Further requirements for student placement
If selected for the next stage, you will need to supply an up-to-date ‘Working with Children Check’. A current ‘Police Check’ is also required.
We may also ask you to come in for an interview or to supply extra information.
Knox City Council Youth Services needs some time to consider each application. We will contact you once we've made a decision.
Contact our Talent management team to find out more about work experience and student placement opportunities.
Or call our Customer Service team on 9298 8000.