About the program
Knox is a safe place to live, work and visit. However, together we can further improve safety for everyone.
The Knox Empowering Communities program provides funding to support our local community to design and lead projects that:
- address the causes of crime
- improve perceptions of safety
The program will provide eligible community groups and organisations with funding to deliver projects that focus on connecting people to enhance community safety in Ferntree Gully.
This program is funded by the Victorian Government’s Building Safer Communities program.
Community groups and organisations were invited to apply for grant funding to deliver projects that focus on connecting people to enhance community safety in Ferntree Gully. The grant application closed in November 2022.
We are looking for projects that demonstrate:
- respect for self and others - promoting respect in the way that we relate to each other
- young people and their families - building resilience and life skills in young people and those who support them
- friendly neighbourhoods - reducing social isolation and fostering positive connections with those living around us
- belonging to community - taking pride in our local community and celebrating what it means to belong.
Organisations eligible for funding included:
- a 'not for profit' group or organisation
- an incorporated organisation (or have an auspice agency with an MOU in place)
- a legally constituted entity (for example, a cooperative, incorporated association, company or trust) or be auspiced as one.
Eligible projects were required to align with the Knox Empowering Communities program objectives and:
- have a positive impact on the Ferntree Gully community
- explain the project and how it relates to community safety, perceptions of safety and the underlying causes of crime
- have intended outcomes that support the Empowering Communities objectives
- commit to undertaking some evaluation of the project (funded groups and organisatons will be supported in evaluation)
- be completed by June 2024
- provide all the information requested in the online application including a proposed budget.
Projects that showed the following were highly considered:
- are a partnership with one or more community groups and/or organisations
- have an innovative approach with the development of new ideas or the improvement of existing ideas
- are sustainable, can continue and/or have ongoing impact beyond the life of the funding.
Funded projects announced
The first two Knox Empowering Communities projects that 'Connect people to enhance community safety in Ferntree Gully' have been approved for funding.
Further projects will be announced in the coming months.
- Foothills Community Care Inc. - Ferntree Gully Community Safety Outreach Project - $207,355.
This project will outreach and engage community members to facilitate stronger relationships of trust and understanding, toward improving experiences of safety, inclusion and belonging in Ferntree Gully (FTG). A range of community will participate, including local residents, local traders, law enforcement, service organisations, and community groups. The project will create connections in safe community spaces through local activities.
- Mountain District Learning Centre - Youth Empowerment for Success (YES) - $46,500
The YES project will provide a range of activities and experiences for young people beyond school hours and during holidays. The activities co-designed with young people will provide connection and support their social, emotional and educational development, increase confidence and their potential to succeed.
Monday 14 November 2022
Applications are assessed and recommended for funding by the Knox Empowering Communities Action Group.
Successful projects will be announced.
January 2023 to June 2024
The funded community projects will be implemented.
Projects must be completed by June 2024.
Knox Empowering Communities Action Group
The Knox Empowering Communities Action Group has been formed with representatives from:
- the Knox community
- local organisations
- professional organisations
- Victoria Police.
The action group works with Knox City Council and the Department of Justice and Community Safety to provide guidance on the Knox Empowering Communities program.
Email email@example.com and we will get back to you.
Or call our Empowering Communities team on 9298 8000.