What is a Justice of the Peace?
A Justice of the Peace (JP) is an objective witness for legal documents.
A JP can assist you by:
- verifying a document's actions are carried out
- witnessing a statutory declaration
- witnessing an affidavit for court
- checking true copies of an original document
- verifying a person's identity.
Before you arrange a time
- Ensure that a Victorian JP is required to witness your documents.
- Advise the JP early if you have a large number of documents.
- Have all your paperwork ready.
- Be mindful that JPs do not provide legal advice.
- Note that JPs are not Notary Publics.
Knox document signing service
Up to 25 local JPs volunteer a regular weekly service at different times in the week.
They support Knox residents wanting to sign:
- statutory declarations
- true copies.
Book a Justice of the Peace
That the Knox JP service is closed for 2023 and resumes Monday 15 January 2024.
The service is located in the foyer of the Knox Civic Centre, 511 Burwood Hwy, Wantirna South.
JPs are available on Monday and Tuesday between 2:30 pm and 4:30pm. There is no need to book.
If you have a large number of documents, we suggest making an appointment directly with a JP using the state government website.
Contact us and we will get back to you.
Or call our Customer Service team on 9298 8000.