Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the Justice of the Peace signing service is currently unavailable at the Civic Centre.
Please visit the Department of Justice to find a JP appointment near you.
What is a Justice of the Peace?
A Justice of the Peace (JP) is an objective witness for legal documents.
A JP can assist you by:
- verifying a document's actions are carried out
- witnessing a statutory declaration
- witnessing an affidavit for court
- checking true copies of an original document
- verifying a person's identity.
Before you arrange a time
- Ensure that a Victorian JP is required to witness your documents.
- Advise the JP early if you have a large number of documents.
- Have all your paperwork ready.
- Be mindful that JPs do not provide legal advice.
- Note that JPs are not Notary Publics.
Knox Document Signing Service
Up to 25 local JPs volunteer a regular weekly service at different times in the week.
They support Knox residents wanting to sign:
- statutory declarations
- true copies.
Book a Justice of the Peace
To make an appointment with a JP in your area by phoning 1300 365 567.
Contact us and we will get back to you.
Or call our Customer Service team on 9298 8000.