You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.
Skip to the main content

Complaints Policy

Council has a dedicated Complaints Policy that documents the procedure for how we manage complaints.

We value feedback and encourage you to contact us if you are unhappy with our services, actions, decisions, or policies.

Knox City Council is committed to:

  • Enabling members of the public to make complaints
  • Responding and seeking to resolve complaints as quickly as possible
  • Learning from complaints to improve our services and decisions
  • We treat every complaint on its individual merits, through clear and consistent processes

View Council's Complaint Policy (PDF 1.5MB)

Service requests vs. complaints

Knowing whether your issue is a complaint or service request helps us to take the right kind of action to help you.

Service requests

A service request is when you contact Council to:

  • ask for information
  • get permission to do something
  • get a product or a service

Submitting the right request will help us action your request faster. We have a range of online forms to help.


A complaint is when you're unhappy about:

  • The quality of an action, or delays taking action by staff or contractors
  • The quality of a decision or delays making decisions by staff or contractors 
  • A policy or decision made by Council, a staff member or a contractor

Where the Complaint Policy does not apply

Some complaints fall outside our Complaints Policy. These requests are managed through other processes.

These complaints include:

  • Requests to review or appeal an infringement or statutory decision
  • Dissatisfaction when providing feedback through a community consultation
  • Complaints involving an allegation of fraud or corrupt conduct. This is covered under the Public Interest Disclosure Act
  • Claims against Council for personal injury or property damage or other loss or damage
  • Internal complaints about a breach of the Staff Code of Conduct or other internal policy

If your complaint falls out of the policy, please contact us so we can help you with the right complaints process.

Including information with your complaint

Please include this information to help us with your complaint:

  • Your name and contact details. You can make an anonymous complaint, but this may limit how we investigate and resolve your concerns
  • Details about the action, decision, service or policy you are dissatisfied with and why
  • Information such as dates, times, location or reference numbers
  • Any relevant documents that support your complaint (if applicable)
  • The outcome you are seeking

You can also let us know if you have any communication needs so we can support you.

Anonymous complaints

Council accepts anonymous complaints but they may limit our ability to investigate and resolve concerns. This is because we may not receive enough information in the complaint.

We may also be unable to provide a response to anonymous complaints.

How to make a complaint

Complaints can be made:

  • Online
  • By phone on 9298 8000
  • By email at
  • In person at 511 Burwood Highway, Wantirna South VIC 3152. Our opening hours are 8:30 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday.

Accessible options

  • National Relay Service – 133 677 (quote 03 9298 8000)
  • Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) – 131 450

What happens once you make a complaint

We will respond to your complaint within 10 business days or we'll let you know within a reasonable timeframe when you will receive a response.

There is a four-tiered approach to handling your complaint:

  1. Resolution at first contact – the staff member who receives your complaint will assess it and seek to resolve it immediately if possible.
  2. Investigation, if required – if your complaint cannot be resolved at the first point of contact, we will refer it to the appropriate council officer for investigation.
  3. Internal review – if you are not satisfied with the resolution offered, or the process or outcome of an investigation, you can request an internal review.
  4. Access to an external review – if you are not happy with the process or outcome of the internal review, you will be informed of any other ways you can pursue your complaint.

Possible remedies

Where Council finds we have made an error, we will take steps to redress the situation. Possible remedies available at Council’s discretion include but are not limited to:

  • An apology
  • An explanation of why the error occurred and the steps taken to prevent it from happening again
  • A reversal of a decision
  • Counselling or disciplinary action is taken with a staff member
  • Another means of redress requested by the complainant


Council handles all records under:

  • The Privacy & Data Protection Act 2013
  • Council’s Privacy and Data Protection Policy and Guidelines

Complainants can expect their complaint will be investigated in confidence where possible. Please note that all complaints lodged with Council are subject to the Freedom of information Act 1982. We cannot guarantee confidentiality under the provisions of that legislation.

Our Council


Stay up to date with our newsletter

subscribe icon