Knox Your City
Skip Links
Visit our LinkedIn pageContact Knox City Council

Filming and Photography in the City of Knox

The City of Knox welcomes opportunities for individuals or production companies to regard Knox as a location for their projects. However, we need to balance the local amenity of that of residents and businesses when considering each request.

Film requests include, commercial filming, including television, feature films, advertising and television commercials, documentaries and music videos.

Filming Approval Act 2014

In August 2014 the Victorian Government passed new legislation to standardise the process for obtaining commercial filming permits on public land managed by local councils and state government agencies in Victoria.

The Filming Approval Act 2014, effective 1 March 2015, provides a framework for the approval of filming permits. It outlines eight film friendly principles and the guidelines for commercial filming on public land across the state.

Low Impact Filming

Most people conducting commercial filming must apply for a permit to use public space. However, if the filming activities are minor and ‘low impact’ (see below), you won’t need to fill out the application for a permit — but you’ll still need to obtain our permission for low impact filming by contacting us. To approve a low impact filming activity, we’ll require notification 14 days in advance of production and proof of your current public liability insurance.

Low impact filming activities are defined by these criteria:

  • a filming activity of six people or less (includes all production crew and talent)
  • no more than one camera, one tripod, and handheld sound recording equipment
  • public safety is maintained at all times and all public pathways, footpaths and roads must not be blocked

High Impact Filming

You can submit your request for high impact filming via our online form:

Filming Request

Wanting to film with a drone?

Knox City Council has no role with providing permission for the use of drones, but we do recommend reading the information provided by Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) at It is always important to comply with the relevant CASA requirements and be mindful of respecting personal privacy.

Photographing or filming a person without consent may breach Victorian State legislation.

All requests should be directed to:

Corporate Communications Department.
Tel: 9298 8000.

Knox City Council,
511 Burwood Highway,
Wantirna South, VIC 3152

Powered by