You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.
Skip to the main content

Noise complaints

Too much noise can reduce a person’s quality of life and what may be enjoyable to one person, may not be enjoyable to others. So it’s important to be considerate when creating noise.

There are steps you can take to deal with noise pollution near you.

Noisy neighbours

If you are experiencing concerns with noisy neighbours, the best approach is to talk with them first. You may feel anxious about approaching them, but quite often they are not aware they are disturbing you.


Should initial talks with your neighbour fail to find a solution, the Department of Justice offers a free and confidential mediation service. The service is a simpler and cheaper alternative to taking civil disputes through the courts.

The process does require the voluntary participation of both parties. However, mediation through the service results in 85% of disputes ending in agreements. For more information, see or contact them on 1300 372 888.

Next steps

Should your attempt to talk to the person or seek mediation with them fail, Council and other authorities do have powers under both local and state legislation to investigate your concern.

Noise logs

To ensure a prompt investigation to your noise concerns, it’s important to submit a 4 week noise log when you report your complaint.

If a log is not completed and returned within 4 weeks we will not proceed with an investigation into the matter, or make contact with the other persons.

For intermittent noise please complete the noise log for 14 consecutive days when the noise is occurring.

These logs can also be used as evidence in a court of law should a noise issue be required to be heard by a magistrate.


In most cases the complainant’s identity will remain confidential. A complainant's identity would only become known if legal enforcement proceedings are initiated.

Other noise issues

Council cannot investigate the following:

Late night music and party noise

If you are being disturbed by afterhours noise from music and parties, call the Police Assistance Line on 131 444.

Victoria Police can visit the property and order them to stop/reduce the volume through powers under the Environment Protection Act 1970.

Vehicles entering or leaving properties (including warming up)

Noise associated with vehicles entering and leaving gates or garage doors are not investigated by Council or Police. These matters are resolved through discussions with your neighbour.

If you are not able to resolve the matter, you could contact the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria on 1300 372 888.

Victoria Police and the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) are responsible for ensuring registered vehicles are roadworthy and compliant with noise emissions. For further information call EPA on 1300 372 842.

Concrete pours out of prescribed hours

Environment Protection Authority (EPA) sets standards for construction and demolition site noise. Concrete pours are considered ‘unavoidable works’ under the EPA Noise Control Guidelines.

For information or detail on the duration and/or finishing time contact the site supervisor. Contact details of the site supervisor should be available on the temporary fencing.

People noise

Concerns with noise from people are best resolved by talking directly with your neighbour. This includes:

  • fighting
  • foul language
  • loitering
  • domestic disputes.

Police can direct offenders to stop if the noise is considered unreasonable.

Need help?

Contact us and we will get back to you.

Or call our Customer Service team on 9298 8000.

Our services


Stay up to date with our newsletter

subscribe icon