About community transport
Each year the community transport service carries an average of 18,000 passengers and covers an average of 68,000 kilometres.
There are 3 types of service:
- a regular bus service providing access to local senior citizen clubs, programs and shopping
- an outings program offering day trips to interesting destinations around Melbourne
- an opportunity for eligible seniors clubs and community groups to hire a community bus for social excursions.
You can use the services if you:
- are over 65 years
- a Knox resident
- have a mobility impairment
- have no appropriate access to transport.
Community shopping bus
The community shopping bus offers eligible clients the opportunity to shop at a local shopping centre and be socially active with people living in their neighbourhood.
The service is for residents who:
- live independently
- have no appropriate access to transport
- can shop without the help of a support worker.
The buses operate on a fortnightly or monthly basis and journeys cost $3 each way.
We offer a regular schedule of community outings to:
- local attractions
- scenic drives
- dining experiences
- mystery tours.
Outings cost $9 each and no payment is required on the day of the outing. An account will be sent to you every 4 weeks.
Download the brochures below to find out more information about the day outings.
- Outings brochure – Bayswater, Wantirna and Wantirna South – May to August 2022
- Outings brochure – Boronia and The Basin – May to August 2022
- Outings brochure – Ferntree Gully and Upper Ferntree Gully – May to August 2022
- Outings brochure – Scoresby, Rowville and Lysterfield – May to August 2022
Eligibility is residents of Knox over 65 years.
For enquiries call 9298 8518.
Buses can be booked for excursions on weekdays between 9am and 4pm. Bookings outside these hours are subject to availability. This includes weekends and public holidays.
Bookings are taken in December for the following year.
Alternative transport options
There are several other community transport options for people living in the Knox area:
You can also approach your local church or your club welfare officer. There are also common interest groups such as The Heart Group, the Stroke Support Group or The Puffing Billies established to support people, family and carers with similar experiences.
Contact us and we will get back to you.
Or call our Community Transport team on 9298 8000.