About community transport
Each year the service carries an average of 18,000 passengers and covers an average of 68,000km.
There are three types of service:
- an on-demand bus service providing access local senior citizen clubs, programs and shopping
- an outings program offering day trips to interesting destinations around Melbourne
- an opportunity for eligible seniors clubs and community groups to hire a community bus for social excursions.
Each year the service carries an average of 18,000 passengers and covers an average of 68,000km!
You can use these services if you are:
- over 65 years
- a Knox resident
- have a mobility impairment
- have no appropriate access to transport.
Community shopping bus in Boronia
The Community Shopping Bus offers eligible clients the opportunity to shop at a local shopping centre and be socially active with people living in their neighbourhood.
The service is for residents who:
- live independently
- have no appropriate access to transport
- can shop without the help of a support worker.
The buses operate on a fortnightly or monthly basis and journeys cost $3 each way.
We offer a regular schedule of community outings to:
- local attractions
- scenic drives
- dining experiences
- mystery tours.
Outings cost $8.70 each and no payment is required on the day of the outing. An account will be sent to you every four weeks. Eligibility is residents of Knox over 65 years.
The Outings Programme has resumed in 2021 in a revised format. For enquiries call 9298 8518.
Outings Brochure - Bayswater, Wantirna, Wantirna South - May to August 2021
Outings Brochure - Boronia, The Basin - May to August 2021
Outings Brochure - Ferntree Gully, Upper Ferntree Gully - May to August 2021
Outings Brochure - Scoresby, Rowville, Lysterfield - May to August 2021
On Demand Bus Service to vaccine appointments
The Knox Community Transport Team is pleased to announce they are offering a special ‘On Demand’ bus service to assist eligible residents to attend a COVID vaccination appointment.
Eligibility criteria and requirements:
- Appointment at mass Vaccination Clinic in East Ringwood, family GP or local clinic
- 50 years old or more
- Qualify for the AstraZeneca vaccine
- You are unable to drive. No convenient or accessible means of transport to the appointed clinic
- COVID Declaration to be completed before entering the bus
- Mask and social distancing compliance at all times.
- COVID safety precautions and procedures to ensure the safety of all travellers. Social distancing on board, legislated cleaning regime and masks
- Pick up from your driveway and returned to same
- Wheelchair and walker accessible vehicles and space to store mobility aids during travel
- Experienced and compassionate drivers
- Available on weekends.
This service is available if you meet the eligibility criteria above or are already a registered passenger for the Community Transport program.
To book or check if you meet the criteria, contact the On Demand programme on 9298 8518.
This service is free of charge, but requires a minimum 24 hours’ notice for weekday appointments and 3 days’ notice for weekend appointments.
Buses can be booked for excursions on weekdays between 9am – 4pm. Bookings outside these hours are subject to availability. This includes weekends and public holidays.
Bookings are taken in December for the following year.
Bookings for the shopping bus, outings and excursion buses can be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling our Community Transport team on 9298 8518.
Alternative transport options
There are several other community transport options for people living in the Knox area:
You can also approach your local church or your club welfare officer. There are also common interest
groups such as The Heart Group, the Stroke Support Group or The Puffing Billies established to support
people, family and carers with similar experiences.
Contact us and we will get back to you.
Or call our Community Transport team on 9298 8000.