Animal business registrations
You must register any domestic animal business in Knox with Council.
A domestic business is:
- an animal shelter
- Council pound
- Council pet shop
- a for-profit business that looks after, trains or boards cats or dogs
- a for-profit business that breeds cats or dogs and has more than 10 fertile female animals
- a for-profit business that breeds cats or dogs and has less than 10 fertile female animals, but the owner is not a member of an applicable organisation.
How to register
To apply for a permit to register a domestic animal business, you will need to:
- download and complete the application form
- provide a copy of your Public Liability Insurance
- pay the permit fee.
Submit your application
Share your application form, Public Liability Insurance and payment with us via:
- Email email@example.com
- Mail to Knox City Council, 511 Burwood Highway, Wantirna South VIC 3152, or
- Submit it in person at the Knox Customer Service Counter located at our council offices at 511 Burwood Highway, Wantirna South VIC 3152.
Under Local Law, your business must also hold a current permit to keep extra animals.
You may also need to request planning permission before you can register your business. Please check with us first.
Fees and charges
The annual registration fee is is $276 per business (this includes a $20 state government levy).
This fee is current from 1 July 2022 until 30 June 2023.
We will conduct an inspection of your animal business as part of your registration application.
We will also conduct annual inspections to make sure businesses follow all legal requirements.
We investigate all reports of suspected backyard breeders.
We also follow up on all cats and dogs sold to Knox residents to ensure they have been microchipped and registered.
When we discover non-compliance, we prefer to work with the business to achieve compliance.
If this approach fails, we will take enforcement action.
Contact us and we will get back to you.
Or call our Customer Services team on 9298 8000.