You must register any domestic animal business in Knox with Council.
A domestic business is:
- an animal shelter, Council pound or pet shop
- a for-profit business that:
- looks after, trains or boards cats or dogs
- breeds cats or dogs and has:
- more than 10 fertile female animals
- less than 10 fertile female animals but the owner is not a member of an applicable organisation
Register your business
To register your business, please download and complete the form.
You may have to request planning permission before you can register your business. Please check with Council.
Under Local Law, the business must also hold a current permit to keep extra animals.
Submitting your application
Please submit the completed form to email@example.com.
Knox City Council carries out an inspection on registration.
Council also conducts annual inspections to make sure businesses follow all legal requirements.
Council investigates all reports of suspected backyard breeders.
We also follow up on all cats and dogs sold to Knox residents to ensure they have been microchipped and registered.
When we discover non-compliance, we prefer to work with the business to achieve compliance.
However, if this approach fails, we will take enforcement action.
Contact us and we will get back to you.
Or call our Customer Services team on 9298 8000.