What is ageism?
Ageism is the stereotyping, prejudice and discrimination against people on the basis of their age.
It impacts people of all ages and affects:
- quality of life
- job prospects
- social connectedness
- health and wellbeing
- life expectancy.
EveryAGE Counts Coalition
Knox City Council is a member of the EveryAGE Counts Coalition. This is a formal alliance of organisations and individuals who have agreed to tackle ageism against older Australians.
The EveryAGE Counts campaign aims to:
- raise awareness about ageism
- challenge myths and stereotypes of older people
- encourage people to speak up and take action.
EveryAGE Counts resources
- National EveryAGE Counts campaign
- 'Let’s End Ageism' TED Talk by Ashton Applewhite
- Documentary: 'Imagine a World without Ageism' narrated by Bryan Brown
- Quiz: 'Am I ageist?'
- Video: 'Voices of Over 55s' challenging ageist stereotypes in Knox
- 'Framing Age' message guide
Knox Seniors Festival
The Knox Seniors Festival is an opportunity to celebrate and value our older residents.
The festival offers a variety of events and activities and commences on 2 October 2023.
Find out more about the Knox Seniors Festival .
Intergenerational relationships can:
- promote greater understanding and respect between generations
- contribute to building more connected and inclusive communities.
We encourage older residents to get involved in intergenerational activities, such as:
- Intergenerational playgroup 'Young at Heart' at Coonara Community House
- Knox Community chess enthusiasts
- Insights - watch our videos on intergenerational relationship in Knox
- Knox Building Connections between Generations Forum 2023
Contact the intergenerational team.
Phone: 9298 8060