Installing a septic tank
You must install a septic tank under the:
- the Environmental Protection Act 1970
- Septic Tanks Code Of Practice.
You must apply if you want to install or alter a pre-existing septic system.
The importance of septic tanks
Septic tanks are sealed round or rectangular containers that break down sewage and wastewater.
Septic tanks treat, then recycle or dispose of:
- sewage, which is combined greywater and blackwater
- greywater, which comes from showers, baths, hand basins, washing machines, laundry troughs and kitchens
- blackwater, which is toilet waste
- organic waste.
Septic tanks are used on residential, community and business premises.
Contact us and we will get back to you.
Or call our City Safety and Health team on 9298 8000.