Installing a septic tank
You must install a septic tank under the:
- the Environmental Protection Act 1970
- Septic Tanks Code Of Practice.
You must apply if you want to install or alter a pre-existing septic system.
How to apply
To apply for a septic system permit, download and complete the application form.
You can submit your application by email, mail or in person:
- email email@example.com
- mail it to Knox City Council, 511 Burwood Highway, Wantirna South VIC 3152
- submit it in person at the Knox Customer Service Counter located at our council offices at 511 Burwood Highway, Wantirna South VIC 3152
The application fee is $575.
This fee is current from 1 July 2023 to 30 June 2024.
The importance of septic tanks
Septic tanks are sealed round or rectangular containers that break down sewage and wastewater.
Septic tanks treat, then recycle or dispose of:
- sewage, which is combined greywater and blackwater
- greywater, which comes from showers, baths, hand basins, washing machines, laundry troughs and kitchens
- blackwater, which is toilet waste
- organic waste.
Septic tanks are used on residential, community and business premises.
Contact us and we will get back to you.
Or call our City Safety and Health team on 9298 8000.