You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.
Skip to the main content

Storms and floods

Protect your lives and property by staying alert to current warnings for storms and floods.

In an emergency, call Triple Zero (000).

During a storm

Storm warnings are broadcast on ABC radio, Vic Emergency app and website, news, Knox City Council's social media feeds and the Bureau of Meteorology.

If there's a storm warning for this area:

  • listen to ABC or local radio for information and advice
  • check on your neighbours to make sure they're prepared
  • bring children and pets inside
  • stay away from windows
  • move outdoor furniture somewhere safe, like the garage
  • make sure you know where your family emergency kit is.

Stay indoors or under shelter while the storm passes through.

Council uses Facebook and Twitter to keep you informed on storm warnings and extreme weather during emergencies.

Car safety

  • Park your car undercover and away from trees.
  • Keep an emergency kit in your car.

Driving in a storm

Storms can kill.

  • Do not try to drive through flooded road sections.
  • Slow down and turn headlights on.
  • Stay alert and watch for hazards on the road, like powerlines.

If it's hard to see

  • Slow down and put your headlights on.
  • Turn on your hazard lights and park on the side of the road in a clear safe area.
  • Make sure you're clear of streams, trees and powerlines.

Preparing for storms and floods

Storm damage and flooding

If you experience storm damage or flooding, contact State Emergency Services (SES) by calling 132 500.

View the SES Knox local flood guide to:

  • understand your flood risk
  • find out how to prepare for a flood
  • find out how to respond to a flood.

Power and street light failure

To report a power outage or street light fault:

Gas emergencies

Call Multinet Gas on 132 691 to report gas leaks, faults and emergencies with gas.

Water emergencies

Call South East Water on 132 812 to report faults and emergencies with water.

Fallen trees

Please stay clear of fallen trees.

To report fallen trees on private property, contact State Emergency Services (SES) by calling 132 500.

To report fallen trees in public spaces, contact our Customer Service team on 9298 8000 or report it online.

Need help?

Contact us and we will get back to you.

Or call our Emergency Management team on 9298 8000.

Our services


Stay up to date with our newsletter

subscribe icon