You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.
Skip to the main content

Pensioner rate concession rebate

If you are a pensioner you may be eligible to apply for the pensioner concession rebate on your rates.

About the rebate

The state government provides financial help for holders of a current and valid pensioner concession card.

This assistance is in the form of a reduction on (municipal) council rates.


The Department of Families, Fairness and Housing and the Department of Veterans' Affairs issue all eligible concession cards.

These cards allow recipients to apply for the pensioner concession rebate.

You may apply for a pensioner concession rebate if you:

  • hold an eligible concession card
  • live at the property shown on the rates notice
  • pay the rates on that property.

How much is the concession rebate?

The annual pensioner concession rebate is a 50 per cent reduction on council rates up to a maximum of $259.50 for 2024/25

Example 1:

  • If your 2024/25 municipal rates and charges are $400,
  • 50 per cent of your rate amount is $200,
  • therefore the concession rebate amount available to you is $200.

Example 2:

  • If your 2024/25 municipal rates and charges are $800,
  • 50 per cent of your rate amount is $400,
  • this is above the maximum amount, so your concession rebate is the maximum of $259.50.

There is also a Fire Service Property Levy rebate of $50.

Additional Council rebate

Knox City Council provides an additional $100 rebate for each eligible property owned by pensioners.  This is on top of the state government's concession rebate.

If you have previously been granted this additional rebate, then you’ll receive this once eligibility is checked and confirmed with Centrelink every year and shown on the rates notice.

What cards are eligible?

The following cardholders are eligible for pensioner concession rebate:

  • Pensioner Concession Card issued by Centrelink or Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA)
  • Veterans' Affairs Gold Cards given for TPI, War Widow, EDA or POW.

Please note that health care and seniors cards are not accepted.

Apply for a rebate

To apply for the pensioner concession rebate, you must download the form.

Download the pensioner concession rebate form 

Complete the form then:

  • email it to [email protected]
  • or send it by post to: Knox City Council Civic Centre, 511 Burwood Hwy, Wantirna South Vic 3152.

Ongoing rebates

Have you previously received a pensioner concession rebate?

If your situation has not changed, you will automatically receive a rebate on your next notice.

If you didn't get your automatic pensioner concession rebate this year, contact us.

Need help?

Contact us and we will come back to you.

Or call our Customer Service team on 9298 8000.

Our services


Stay up to date with our newsletter

subscribe icon