You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.
Skip to the main content

Housing support

Council provides support for eligible Knox residents aged 55 years or older who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.

There is help available for people in need of housing support or information.

Housing support services can include:

  • advice
  • advocacy
  • referrals and help in applying for public housing
  • recommendation for sponsorship housing within Knox
  • helping existing tenants in sponsorship properties to transfer to more suitable accommodation. E.g. moving from upstairs to a ground floor unit
Resizing Housing Toolkit for Knox Seniors

The purpose of this toolkit is to assist you plan your housing journey from where you are now to where you want to be. The toolkit will help you explore some key considerations about the selection of housing that bests suit you along with what you might expect in terms of finance and other issues. Most importantly, the toolkit will point you towards experts and resources that can assist in planning your housing journey. 

Before you set out on the next step of your housing journey it’s a good idea to consider 
where you are at now. 

The following questions might assist you to do this: 

  • What is my current housing status? 
  • Is my current housing situation suitable for me? 
  • What type of housing do I want to reside in as I become older? 
  • Will I be able to afford the housing I prefer? 
  • What resources and supports (such as finances, social connections etc.) am I going to need 
    to live well? 


Download the Resizing Housing Toolkit

Sponsored housing

Council has sponsored housing for older residents, provided through the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing (DFFH).

Sponsorship housing allows older residents of Knox who are eligible for public housing to remain within the local area.


You are eligible for housing support if you:

  1. are 55 years old or older
  2. meet the assets/income and eligibility criteria as determined by the DFFH
  3. receive a Centrelink pension and are not under a Migrant Sponsorship Agreement
  4. can live independently in a self-contained unit
  5. reside in Knox, either:
    • you have lived in Knox for at least 2 years or
    • you have relatives who have lived in Knox for at least 2 years. They must be able to offer you support or
    • you are a past long-term resident of Knox. You must also show that you still have strong connections to the Knox area. Examples include:
      • membership of a Knox-based senior citizens community or social group
      • attending a local doctor or health centre etc.

Urgent housing assistance

There is a community network that provides housing help called Eastern Homelessness Network (EHN). The contact for Knox is the Uniting Homeless Crisis Entry Point in Ringwood.

Uniting Homelessness Crisis Entry Point in Ringwood (Knox area)

Phone: 8870 4020
In person: 291A Maroondah Highway, Ringwood
Operating hours: Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm

After hours

For after-hours support (5 pm to 9 am and on weekends and public holidays):

Victorian Statewide Homelessness Line (free call 24 hours)

Phone: 1800 825 955

Safe steps Family Violence Response Centre for women and children

If you are escaping family violence.

Phone: 1800 015 188
Operating hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week.

If you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless, see our information on homelessness.


You can nominate a trusted person, friend or family member, or a professional (for example, State Trustees) to act on your behalf when you feel unable to express your views independently.

Need help?

For more information, please contact our Housing Support Worker on 9298 8303 or customer service on 9298 8000.

Our services


Stay up to date with our newsletter

subscribe icon