You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.
Skip to the main content

Animal infringement notices

If your pet is found wandering or unregistered you may be issued with an infringement notice.

Animal infringement offences

We issue infringement notices to the owner of a dog or cat found to be committing an offence.

Offences include when:

  • you fail to register your dog or cat
  • your registered dog or cat is found outside your property without Council identification
  • you fail to take steps to ensure the dog cannot escape your property
  • your dog wanders unsupervised away from your premises
  • your dog or cat is creating a nuisance
  • you fail to collect and properly dispose of your dog’s litter
  • you fail to carry bags for the collection of your dog’s litter.

A full list of offences can be found in the Domestic Animals Act 1994 or our Amenity Local Law 2020.

We can give you an infringement notice:

  • in person
  • by post.

Paying penalty fees

You may need to pay a penalty fee if you receive an animal infringement notice.

It is important to pay your penalty fees by the due date on the infringement notice. If not, you’ll receive a Penalty Reminder Notice and additional costs will be added to your fine.

We offer a range of payment options.

Disputing your infringement notice

If you do not agree with your animal infringement notice, you can apply for a review.

There are some circumstances that we will not consider for review of an animal infringement offence.

These include:

  • forgetting to register or renew your animal's registration
  • not recalling receiving your animal renewal
  • being unaware that you need to register your animal registration
  • your property wasn't secure and your animal escaped
  • believing that registering with a microchipping company is the same as registering with Knox City Council.

Need help?

Contact us and we will get back to you.

Or call our Community Laws department on 9298 8000.

Our services


Stay up to date with our newsletter

subscribe icon