You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.
Skip to the main content

Thanks for your patience over the next few weeks while we clean up fallen trees after the recent storms. Find out more about free storm related waste drop offs at the Knox Transfer Station and extra bin collections.

Food complaints

Our Environmental Health Officers investigate most food complaints including alleged food poisoning, poor food handling or cleanliness, foreign objects found in food and incorrect labelling.

Council does not investigate poor customer service or food complaints from butchers, poultry and seafood retailers. These should be referred to PrimeSafe on 9685 7333.

Food poisoning

If you have food poisoning, contact your doctor first then call our Health Services team on 9298 8000.

You should do this as soon as possible.

Our investigation

Knox City Council will investigate your complaint under the Food Act 1984 (the Act). Due to the privacy clause of the Act, feedback from our investigation can only be limited.

When you lodge a complaint we will need your details in case we have further questions. Your details will remain confidential.

It can take up to 72 hours from when you ate or drank contaminated food or drink before you have the first symptoms. We may ask you for a four-day food history and list of all the foods and drinks that you had before your symptoms started.

Any leftover food you suspect may have been the cause may help our investigation. Wrap any leftover food and store it in your fridge.

Find out more about food poisoning on the Better Health Channel or the Department of Health's Food Safety website.

Foreign objects

If you find a foreign object in a food product do not remove it.

Keep the product intact and store it according to the product instructions. This may be in the fridge or sealed in a plastic container.

Call our Health Services team on 9298 8000.

Food business prosecutions

It is the responsibility of food business owners to make sure the food they sell is safe.

They must comply with legislative requirements under the Food Act 1984 (the Act) and subsequently the Food Standards Code at all times.

The Department of Health keeps a Food Safety Register of Convictions. This identifies businesses that have been convicted of breaches of the Act.

Need help?

Contact us and we will come back to you.

Or call our Health Services team on 9298 8000.

Our services


Stay up to date with our newsletter

subscribe icon