You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.
Skip to the main content

Due to record rainfall, we're behind in our mowing schedule. We're unable to use our mowers while the ground is saturated and the long grass takes longer to mow. Our crews are working hard to catch up. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Pet foster carers

Animal foster carers in Knox who take part in our Voluntary Enrolment Scheme are eligible for reduced animal registration rates.  


About foster care

Foster Care is the temporary care of a stray, abandoned or unwanted dog or cat.

The focus of fostering is to find a new home for the pet.

Under Victorian law foster carers:

  • must register all animals (over three months of age) housed on their property with the local council. This includes if the animal is only with them temporarily.
  • receive reduced registration fees if enrolled in the Foster Carers Voluntary Enrolment Scheme.

Foster Carers Voluntary Enrolment Scheme

The Foster Carers Voluntary Enrolment Scheme is for individual foster carers.

Participants will receive:

  • a reduced registration rate of $8 for each dog they foster during the first 12 months the dog is in their care
  • a reduced registration rate of $8 for each cat they foster during the first 12 months the cat is in their care
  • the ability to use pet shops as a means of providing additional community exposure to dogs six months of age or older, and cats eight weeks of age or older.

Foster carers not enrolled in the Scheme need to register any dogs or cats over the age of three months of age at the applicable registration rate.

Apply for the Voluntary Enrolment Scheme

Please call 9298 8000 should you wish to discuss an application or speak to a member of the Community Laws Team.

Local Laws Permits

Foster carers need an excess animal permit to keep more than two cats or more than two dogs at their property.

It does not matter if you are part of the Foster Carers Voluntary Enrolment Scheme or not. And you need a permit even if the cat or dog is staying at the property for a short amount of time.

Find out more about keeping extra animals.

Need help?

Contact us and we will get back to you.

Or call our Community Laws department on 9298 8000.

Our services


Stay up to date with our newsletter

subscribe icon