When to put your recycling bin out
Your bins are emptied on the same day each week, once a fortnight, including all public holidays. They should be placed at the collection point by 6am of your collection day.
To check when your recycling collection day is, see:
- Waste collection day map
- Recycling zones
- Knox waste calendar 2020-2021 Week 1
- Knox waste calendar 2020-2021 Week 2
Or call our Customer Service team on 9298 8000.
What goes in your recycling bin
Put all recyclable items into your bin loose. They won't be sorted if packed in plastic bags.
Use your blue lid bin for:
- wrapping paper, greeting cards, envelopes (with or without a window)
- magazines and newspapers
- egg cartons and pizza boxes (make sure they are empty)
- paper and cardboard (no need to take off tape or staples first)
- phone books
- compact disc cases (no discs)
- hard plastic packaging and food containers (e.g. any plastic that is rigid and holds its shape)
- aluminium baking trays
- aluminium foil – scrunched into a loose ball
- steel or aluminium cans and tins (if pet food or seafood tins, rinse if worried about the smell)
- glass bottles and jars without lids (empty, don't need to rinse)
- milk and juice cartons or bottles (empty, with lids removed)
- plastic bottles (empty, with lids removed).
What doesn't go in your recycling bin
Do not use your blue lid bin for:
- plastic bags (any recyclables kept together plastic bags will end up in landfill)
- general rubbish and waste
- green waste
- timber, bricks, rubble, steel, or building materials
- fluids or liquids, including motor oil, pesticides, paints or solvents
- hot ashes (must be completely cold to put in the bin)
- aluminium and steel aerosol cans
- chemicals or hazardous waste (these produce toxic odours or may cause a fire)
- e-waste (any electronic item that needs a cord or runs off batteries).
Bin requests, stolen bins and missed collections
Organise a missed recycling bin collection or a bin replacement online.
Anything that uses batteries or a power cord is e-waste. Do not put e-waste in rubbish or recycling bins.
To find out more about e-waste visit our e-waste page.
Contact us and we will get back to you.
Or call our Customer Service team on 9298 8000