About business waste and recycling
Our business waste and recycling collection service is for small amounts of domestic-type rubbish only. This means waste that will fit into wheelie bins, such as rubbish and recycling from:
- staff lunchrooms and bathrooms
- offices and small businesses.
This service does not replace bulk bin (commercial or industrial waste collection) services, which are provided by many different private companies operating across Knox.
Business bin fees
We base our fees on a 240 litre rubbish bin and a 240 litre recycle bin.
Fees are current from 1 July 2023 to 30 June 2024.
|Weekly rubbish and recycling collection
|$735.81 per service
Daily rubbish collection and weekly recycling collection
5 week days (no weekends)
|$2,433.76 per service
|Weekly rubbish collection (no recycling)
|$538.02 per service
Daily rubbish collection (no recycling)
5 week days (no weekends)
|$2,217.98 per service
|An additional 240 litre recycling bin
|$276.11 per bin
Fees are charged on a pro-rata basis from the date the bins are delivered to the property.
How to apply for a bin service
You can request a new bin service online:
What goes in your rubbish bin
Use your all red bin or all brown bin for:
- general rubbish
- light globes, window glass, mirrors, ceramics and drinking glasses (wrapped and labelled "glass")
- nappies (wrapped), tissues and paper towel
- soft plastic packaging, wrappers and cling film
- plastic plant pots
What doesn't go in your rubbish bin
Do not use your all red bin or all brown bin for:
- timber, bricks, rubble, steel or building materials
- recyclables (put these in your recycling bin)
- fluids or liquids including motor oil, pesticides, paints or solvents
- hot ashes (ensure they are completely cold)
- batteries, chemicals or hazardous waste, which have the potential to produce toxic odours or cause a fire in the bin or collection truck.
What goes in your recycling bin
See what items you can and cannot put in your all blue recycling bin on our Recycling bin collection page.
When to put your rubbish bin out
Businesses can choose from a daily or weekly rubbish collection.
If needed, we can also provide a weekly recycle collection bin. We include it in the cost of the first rubbish service.
A business recycling bin can only be offered with a business rubbish bin service.
Knox Council collects business waste as per normal schedule for all public holidays. This includes the Christmas and New Year period.
Missed bin collection
Council collects business bin contents by 6pm on your collection day.
You can call us on 9298 8000 within 36 hours (1.5 business days) of your scheduled collection day.
Should you find a sticker on your bin or a notice in your letterbox, follow the directions on the sticker or notice.
Other business recycling options
Other bin services
You can request additional bins, report a damaged bin or report a missing bin online.
Online requests are actioned during opening hours.
The property owner or real estate agent must make these requests. If you are a tenant, contact them directly.
Apply for, change or cancel a bin
You can also apply for, change, or cancel business bins.
Please return the completed form via email or post:
- Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post - Knox City Council. 511 Burwood Highway Wantirna South VIC 3152
Contact us and we will get back to you.
Or call our Customer Service team on 9298 8000.