You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.
Skip to the main content

Support for sporting clubs

Council provides a range of information and services to support sporting clubs and associations.

In-Club Education Program

The In-Club Education Program works with sporting clubs to address cultural issues prominent in the community, such as:

  • gender inequity
  • inappropriate drug and alcohol consumption
  • poor mental health
  • a lack of inclusiveness
  • poor governance.

For more information, email or call Leisure Club Development project officer on 9298 8208.

Club development

Council provides educational and development opportunities to build the skills and knowledge of club committees, coaches and members. This includes workshops, training and grants information.

Good community relationships

We are keen to support good relationships between sporting groups and residents living near our sports reserves. Common areas of conflict include:

  • parking
  • noise levels
  • excessive glare from training lights
  • disruptive departures from the facilities.

We recommend that clubs:

  • share your calendar with local residents so they know when to expect major events.
  • send your newsletter to local residents.
  • invite local residents to your activities and functions.
  • set definite times that reserve floodlighting is used and letting residents know.
  • encourage local residents to report any vandalism to you or Council.
  • appoint car parking monitors to ensure patrons do not interfere with access to resident's homes.
  • assess the layout of your club’s facilities to identify any changes that could reduce the impact on neighbours.
  • encourage good neighbour attitude by patrons. This could be things like entering and exiting the car park in an orderly manner or controlling noise.
  • ensure the facility closes at an appropriate hour.
  • ensure all rubbish and litter is removed and/or placed in bins at the end of the match or event.
  • circulate the contact details of your Community Liaison Officer (CLO) and invite residents to contact them with any concerns or questions.

Community Liaison Officer (CLO)

Council recommends that every club appoints a CLO. They can act as the main contact for the community and Council if any issues or questions arise.

The CLO plays a very important role in maintaining a good relationship with members of the local community and Council.

Capital works projects

Council funds many small, medium and large-scale improvement projects to its community sport and recreation assets. This includes things like:

  • sport ground renewals
  • renovations to facilities
  • upgrade of changerooms and amenities
  • protective netting, shade shelters, scoreboards and more.

Find out more about submitting a funding request for your Club’s project or submitting a capital works application form.

Guidelines for club events

Clubs holding events or charging entry to sporting reserves must comply with legal requirements.

See our guide to managing events on council land.

Council understands the increasing workload placed on volunteers and groups in the community. The information we ask for in this guide is the minimum required.

Casual hire of community facilities

Please contact Leisure Services Officer on 9298 8000 if you wish to sublet Council community facilities.

Need help?

Contact us and we will come back to you.

Or call our Customer Services team on 9298 8000.


Our services


Stay up to date with our newsletter

subscribe icon