You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.
Skip to the main content

Bin fees

Ratepayers in Knox pay a fee which includes the collection of household rubbish and recycling.

Bin upgrades or extra bin costs

You must pay extra to upgrade your bin or get extra bin services.

You can save money and reduce your garbage going to landfill by swapping your 120-litre bin for an 80-litre bin.

You can upgrade or order a new bin online through our website.

We aim to process waste charge amendments within 5 business days of the bin change. 

Food and garden bin

Our food and garden bin service will help turn food and garden waste into compost for use on gardens, parks and farms across Victoria. Find out more about the food and garden bin service.

Food and garden bin costs

The cost of the new food and garden bin service will be included in the standard waste charge on your next rates notice.

What you will pay depends on what size bins you have.

The waste fees and charges for 2023 to 2024 are valid from 1 July 2023 to 30 June 2024.

Bin combinationFee 2023/24
80L rubbish bin + 240L recycling bin$296.86
80L rubbish bin + 240L recycling bin + 240L food and garden bin$434.90
120L rubbish bin + 240L recycling bin$358.56
120L rubbish bin + 240L recycling bin + 240L food and garden bin$496.60
Other (optional) surcharges or feesFee 2023/24
Upgrade 80L to 120L rubbish bin$61.70
Additional 120L rubbish bin$166.50
Additional 240L recycling bin$91.03
Additional 240L food & garden bin$138.04

About bin fees

Every household must pay a residential waste charge so Council can provide bin services. The charge depends on what size bins you have. This charge appears on your rates bill.

The residential waste service charge provides:

  • the wheelie bin combination that you use for rubbish, recycling and food and garden waste
  • bundled branches and residents own container for additional food and garden waste
  • hard rubbish service.

This applies to all residential properties in Knox that use Council's waste services. A small number of properties (some apartments or multi-unit developments) may be required to use private waste services.

If you are renting, the owner or rental agent will arrange Council bins for you.

Need help?

Contact us and we will get back to you.

Or call our Customer Service team on 9298 8000.

Our services


Stay up to date with our newsletter

subscribe icon