You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.
Skip to the main content

Nuisance cat complaints

There are several ways you can deal with a wandering or nuisance cat including lodging a complaint or handing the cat into Council.

Nuisance and wandering cats

Roaming cats can:

  • attack and kill native wildlife
  • wander onto a neighbour's property
  • cause damage to garden beds by defecating
  • create health concerns in children's sandpits
  • cause undue noise due to fighting with owned or stray cats
  • call and cry when seeking a mate
  • spray on front doors, mats and other areas.

Under the Domestic Animals Act 1994, cats are not allowed to trespass on private property without permission.

If you find a cat wandering on your property

We recommend:

  • discussing the matter with the cat owner. The owner may not be aware that their cat is wandering.
  • printing out and dropping a notification letter in the cat owner’s letterbox to let them know their cat is entering your property.

Cat traps are temporarily unavailable
Council are not loaning cat traps until at least March 2024. This is to reduce a potential disease outbreak at the Animal Aid shelter while there is a national shortage of cat vaccinations.

If you require further assistance

Complaint about your cat

Our Council officers will attempt to inform you if someone makes a complaint about your cat. If we are unable to identify a cat’s owner, the cat may be taken to the Council pound at Animal Aid, Coldstream.

If your cat is handed in to Council

During business hours we will make all reasonable attempts to reunite you with your cat.

If we are unable to identify you as the owner, or if the cat is unregistered, we will take it to the Council pound at Animal Aid, Coldstream.

To reclaim your cat from the pound you will need to pay a reclaim fee and your cat will also need to be registered and desexed.

You will receive a fine if your cat is unregistered or not wearing a Council tag.

Need help?

Contact us and we will get back to you.

Or call our Community Laws department on 9298 8000.

Our services


Stay up to date with our newsletter

subscribe icon