You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.
Skip to the main content

There will be a scheduled phone outage from 6:00pm - 10:30pm on Friday 21 June 2024. During this time, please contact Council on 9298 7300

Amend a planning permit

You may find yourself in a situation where you need to make a change to your planning permit or approved plans.

Amending planning permits

You can apply to Council to amend the:

  • conditions of a planning permit
  • use or development for which the planning permit was issued (what the permit allows)
  • approved plans.

The significance of your changes will determine what type of application you need to make.

Minor changes to approved plans

If you want to make minor changes to plans that were approved as part of your planning permit application, you can apply under ‘secondary consent’.

You cannot apply under 'secondary consent' to change permit conditions or what the permit allows.

All other changes

All other applications to change an approved planning permit, are lodged through an application to amend a planning permit.

How to apply

You can apply to amend a planning permit either online or in person at Council's offices.

Apply online

To lodge a planning application online, you must be a Registered User to use this service.

Register for Online Services

Apply for a Secondary Consent

Apply for an Amendment to a Planning Permit

Apply by post or in person

You will need to complete an application form:

Visit us or post your form to:

Knox City Council Civic Centre

511 Burwood Highway, Wantirna South, VIC 3152.

Opening hours: Monday - Friday 8:30am - 5pm.

Information needed for your application

To lodge an application to amend, you will need to submit the following information:

  • an application form
  • a current copy of the Certificate of Title for your property (less than three months old). You can get a current copy for your property from LANDATA
  • the original permit number
  • information about whether the development has begun
  • a clear explanation of the changes that you want to make to your planning permit
  • copies of plans, clearly identifying any changes.

Amending a permit issued by VCAT

Some planning permits that are issued as the result of an appeal to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) contain conditions that restrict Council from making amendments.

It is important that you read the planning permit conditions carefully. In these cases, the application to amend a permit needs to be made to VCAT.


Our fees depend on the type of change that you want to make.

Find out more about our amendment to existing planning permit fees.

Need help?

Contact Planning Services and we will get back to you.

Or call our Planning Services team on 9298 8000.

Our services


Stay up to date with our newsletter

subscribe icon