From 2022, families will be able to access a two-year funded kindergarten program at Council-run services. This includes a:
- five-hour a week kindergarten program for three-year-olds, and
- 15-hour a week kindergarten program for four-year-olds.
Funded three-year-old kindergarten is new. It's part of the Victorian Government’s kindergarten reform, which is the largest reform of early childhood education in Victoria’s history.
Benefits of kindergarten
Research shows that a child who attends two years of a quality kindergarten program will, on average, have better cognitive and social skills when they start school. This includes better development in language, independence, and concentration.
The kindergarten years are important for every child. They encourage children to:
- be creative and confident thinkers
- build overall confidence, self reliance and resourcefulness
- experience the joy of success and learning with other children and adults.
Council's kindergarten educational programs
Our educational programs focus on an individual child's strengths and abilities. Educators plan a play-based program to extend each child’s learning and development.
Programs are based on the Early Years Learning Framework (EYLF) and the Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework (VEYLDF).
Other important things to know about kindergarten include: