You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.
Skip to the main content

There will be a scheduled phone outage from 6:00pm - 10:30pm on Friday 21 June 2024. During this time, please contact Council on 9298 7300

Home modifications

Council's home modification service aims to improve or maintain your functional independence so that you can continue to move safely about in your home.

About the service

Modifications are generally based on the recommendation of an occupational therapist and may include:

  • grab rails in the shower and toilet
  • hand held showers
  • safety hinges
  • banister rails
  • ramps and step modifications
  • raising or lowering of chairs or other furniture.


A subsidised hourly rate for labour is based on the household income. A quote will be provided for your approval before work commences.

Download the Commonwealth Home Support Program Fees 2023 to 2024.

No payment is needed on the day of service – we send you an account every four weeks.

Due to some home modification work being a high one-off cost, residents can enter an interest-free payment plan to help manage the account.

IKON Property Services

Council currently uses the services of IKON Property Services for all home modification requests.

Council provide job details and occupational therapy drawings to IKON. They will call to make a convenient appointment time. You will be given a morning or afternoon timeslot, not a specific time.

Access these services

You can access these services via My Aged Care.

Call them on 1800 200 422 and they will assess your eligibility over the phone and/or organise an in home assessment.

For more information, see My Aged Care.

My Aged Care also provide information in other languages.

Translation and Interpreter Services are available by calling 131 450 (TIS National). Ask TIS to telephone Knox City Council on (03) 9298 8000.


This service is supported by the Australian Government Department of Health.


Residents can nominate a trusted person, friend or family member, or a professional to act on their behalf when they feel unable to express their views independently.

Need help?

Contact us and we will get back to you.

Or call our Customer Services team on 9298 8000.


Our services


Stay up to date with our newsletter

subscribe icon