Planning Controls and Policies
Policies and strategies have been developed to cover the following areas:
- Upper Gully Plan
- Knox Central Structure Plan
- Ferntree Gully Village Structure Plan
- Rowville Plan
- Boronia Structure Plan 2006
- The Basin and Alchester
- Bayswater 2020: Bayswater Activity Centre
Further work is underway on the following policies and strategies:
The Knox Planning Scheme
The Scheme sets out the objectives, policies and provisions relating to the use, development, protection and conservation of land. It applies to all public and private land in the City of Knox.
It is a legal document prepared by Council and approved by the Minister for Planning.
Council uses the policies and guidelines set out in the Scheme to make decisions on planning permits.
Planning controls can differ, depending on where you live, so it is important to find out which controls apply to your property.
Incorporated and reference documents inform the planning scheme, guide decision-making and can affect the operation of the planning scheme.
Planning Scheme Amendments
Changes may be made to a planning scheme. This is through a process called a Planning Scheme Amendment.
Amendments can be made to:
- achieve certain planning outcomes
- support new policies or strategies
- ensure requirements continue to meet the needs of the community.
The process covers changes to:
- a planning scheme map (for example, rezoning of land or the application of an overlay)
- the written part of the scheme (the ordinance), or
Amendments are usually prepared by Council or by the Minister for Planning as the ‘planning authority’ and must follow the process set out in the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
Current Planning Scheme Amendments
- Early years assets (Amendment C174knox)
- Boronia Renewal Project (Amendment C192knox)
- Knox Municipal Development Contributions Plan (Amendment C186knox)
Recently approved Amendments
- Waterford Valley Residential Aged Care Facility (Amendment C176knox)
- Kingston Links Golf Course (Amendment C142knox)
You can find details of all exhibited and approved amendments on the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website.
Victorian Government Planning Initiatives
The Victorian Government is responsible for some planning policies, amendments and initiatives that apply to development in Knox
- Wantirna Health Precinct
- 609-621 Burwood Highway Rezoning and Development Plan (Amendment C160knox)
- Boronia Heights College (Amendment C163knox)
- Wantirna Heights School (Amendment C165knox)
- State Basketball Centre Redevelopment (Amendment C190knox)
Lodge a request with Strategic Planning and we will get back to you.
Or call our City Futures team on 9298 8000.