The project aims to:
- gather evidence and develop a better understanding of the values and priorities within these areas
- provide future objectives and strategic directions
- identify opportunities to enhance environmental and social values
- identify compatible land use potential including:
- public open space and recreation
- rural living
- other compatible rural uses.
The area has been divided into five precincts based on:
- landscape characteristics
- existing planning controls.
- Precinct 1: The Basin Rural Landscape Precinct
- Precinct 2a: Lysterfield Valley and Hills
- Precinct 2b: Lysterfield Quarries and Surrounds
- Precinct 3: Dandenong Creek Valley Precinct
- Precinct 4: Healesville Freeway Reservation and Surrounds
The project has five stages:
- Setting the scene
- Issues and opportunities analysis
- Visioning (completed March-April 2020)
- Strategy development (draft expected mid 2021)
- Implementation and monitoring (if proposed).
The first three stages have been completed.
In March-April 2020, Knox City Council undertook preliminary stakeholder and public consultation as part of Stage 3 of the project.
A Community Consultation Report was reported to Council in August 2020. The findings will guide the objectives and strategies for each precinct.
Once the GARS strategy is developed, it will undergo another round of public consultation prior to finalisation and implementation.
More information about GARS
See the following documents:
- The GARS Visioning Brochure - a summary of key draft issues and opportunities and a draft vision statement for each precinct.
- Stage 1 - Setting the Scene Report - a background report and analysis of the existing conditions in each of the five precincts.
- Stage 2 - Draft Issues and Opportunities Report – a technical background report, analysis and recommendations for the overall direction of the Project. The report was informed by expert advice from the fields of:
Lodge a request with Strategic Planning and we will get back to you.
Or call our City Futures team on 9298 8000.