Council endorsed the draft Green Areas and Rural Strategy (GARS) on 25 October 2021 for community consultation.
Public consultation on the draft strategy occurred between 8 November and 23 December 2021.
The feedback received during the public consultation is currently being analysed.
The results will be reported back to Council with a recommendation on final endorsement and implementation of the strategy.
The project aims to:
- gather evidence and develop a better understanding of the values and priorities within these areas
- provide future objectives and strategic directions
- identify opportunities to enhance environmental and social values
- identify compatible land use potential including:
- public open space and recreation
- rural living
- other compatible rural uses.
The area has been divided into 5 precincts based on:
- landscape characteristics
- existing planning controls.
- Precinct 1: The Basin Rural Landscape Precinct
- Precinct 2a: Lysterfield Valley and Hills
- Precinct 2b: Lysterfield Quarries and Surrounds
- Precinct 3 and 3a*: Dandenong Creek Valley Precinct
- Precinct 4: Healesville Freeway Reservation and Surrounds.
* Precinct 3a is an extension of Precinct 3 where objectives and strategies for Precinct 3 extend to this area.
The project has 5 stages:
- Setting the scene
- Issues and opportunities analysis
- Visioning (completed March to April 2020)
- Strategy development (currently underway)
- Implementation and monitoring (if adopted by Council)
More information about GARS
See the following documents:
- Stage 1: Setting the Scene Report – a background report and analysis of the existing conditions in each of the five precincts.
- Stage 2: Draft Issues and Opportunities Report – a technical background report, analysis and recommendations for the overall direction of the Project. The report was informed by expert advice from the fields of:
- Stage 3: Community Consultation Report – a summary of preliminary consultation findings reported to Council in August 2020.
- Stage 4: Draft Green Areas and Rural Strategy (GARS) as endorsed by Council on 25 October 2021.
Lodge a request with Strategic Planning and we will get back to you.
Or call our City Futures team on 9298 8000.