The number of units you can build on your land depends on the planning controls that apply.
Talk with a design professional or planning consultant for advice before apply for a multi-unit development planning permit.
The design must meet the planning controls applying to your land, including:
- those specified in the Planning Policy Framework
- Local Planning Policy Framework including Clause 22.07 of the Knox Planning Scheme
- the zone
- any property overlays and Clause 55 (Rescode) of the Knox Planning Scheme.
ResCode applies many conditions to multi-units, including:
- neighbourhood character
- private open space
- driveways and car parking
- setbacks and siting
- amenity impacts
- landscaping and garden area
- site coverage.
There may be other site limitations, like:
- location of neighbouring properties
When building multi-unit developments, you need to be aware of:
When you're ready to apply, you can ask online for pre-application advice.
Check you've got everything you need with our multi-unit development handout.
Lodge and pay for your planning application online
Contact Planning Services and we will get back to you.
Or call our Planning Services team on 9298 8000.